Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [FLIER] Bug?  (Read 646 times)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[FLIER] Bug?
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »

I've read in the wiki that tame creatures with the [FLIER] tag will not fly anymore? I recently caught a giant eagle and I want to tame it for my hunter. Is the bug still around or should I just tame it anyways?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [FLIER] Bug?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:44:22 pm »

You should be able to tame it just fine. The problem isn't so much with domestic creatures, but civilization creatures (meaning your dwarves in vanilla), since they use a different pathfinder. The only problem you can run into with flying creatures is your dwarves being unable to reach them to put them in cages.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »

Or the Dwarves swapping places with them and getting stuck, but that's rare.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:07:53 pm »

The issue is that (for members of your fort and caravans, maybe invaders too) fliers will only fly to areas that they would already be able to reach on foot. It shouldn't be a problem for you, though.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:07:17 am »

The issue is that (for members of your fort and caravans, maybe invaders too) fliers will only fly to areas that they would already be able to reach on foot. It shouldn't be a problem for you, though.

Mmmh? I thought I saw a few of my geese on top of the walls. Did not think they had a way to get there on foot, too.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 05:16:58 am »

I meant if their destination is reachable without flight. It's normal to see them fly over walls while moving around, but they won't linger there unless they get stuck somehow.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 05:24:14 am »

That's the thing, though : I saw them ON TOP of my walls, with no stairs available. Don't think they were stuck, either, but I could be mistaken (that fortress got a bad case of demonitis fatalis, so I can't check.)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 05:34:26 am »

It might not apply to domestic animals, then - I'm not sure. Thanks for letting me know, though.

Just checked the bug tracker, it looks like this is what I was thinking of.