Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Technical suggestion - Fluids  (Read 2046 times)

JLJac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Technical suggestion - Fluids
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:10:56 am »

Just a quick disclaimer; I didn't want to suggest that there should be different liquids and that they should be able to mix, I wanted to share my idea of how to do this. I was aware that both Toady and lots of other people have been wanting to add more liquids for some time, but from how I understood it there was trouble to be expected in the implementation, hence my suggestion. That's why I named the thread "Technical suggestion", because I didn't want to tell Toady what to add to his game, only give him a suggestion of how to do something I already knew he wanted to do.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 10:24:37 am »

Yes. The ideas willbe taken into account...

...In 10 years...

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 08:04:44 pm »

Fluids should be in 1/60th of a tiles volume; equal to a large bucket load.

Presuming that tiles are about 5 foot cubes (dwarfs have to slow down to pass each other in one... and they are short), that would make a bucket a little more than 2 cubic feet in volume, which dosn't sound unreasonable. (I wouldn't want to carry 2 cubic feet of water, but dorfs are strong)

1/60th is also evenly divisable by 2,3,4,5 and 6, making spreading water more likely to give integer results.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 11:10:05 pm »

Since water comes in 7ths already for visual and flow purposes, surely a 70th of a tile bucket size would be more reasonable?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 12:36:24 am »

No.

I chose 60th's for it divisibility, and for being close to a binary power, as 6 bits can easily store a range from 0 to 63, 70ths would have to be stored in 7 bits, while only using a tiny bit more than half the 0-127 range. the current 1-7 depth range is fairly meaningless, we may be used to referring to "7/7 magma" "1/7 water", but I don't see a compelling reason to keep it in that range. there is a reason there are 60 minutes in an hour, and 60 seconds in a minute; 60ths are actually very easy to work in.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »

No.

I chose 60th's for it divisibility, and for being close to a binary power, as 6 bits can easily store a range from 0 to 63, 70ths would have to be stored in 7 bits, while only using a tiny bit more than half the 0-127 range. the current 1-7 depth range is fairly meaningless, we may be used to referring to "7/7 magma" "1/7 water", but I don't see a compelling reason to keep it in that range. there is a reason there are 60 minutes in an hour, and 60 seconds in a minute; 60ths are actually very easy to work in.

it's 7 because that fits a byte perfectly.  0 means there is none.

60 sounds like a good amount.
Pages: 1 [2]