Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minotaur attack!  (Read 1336 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minotaur attack!
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:31:45 pm »

Didn't expect it to happen so soon. Started my new fort, just building stuff and trying to find ores when I freaking minotaur shows up. It's only my second year and I don't know what he's doing here so early. Maybe it's cause I dug into the third cavern layer and found a candy pillar, so it increased my fortress value or something. My military is completely untrained and has no equipment (I couldn't even find metal on the map). I order the drawbridge to be raised, but several minutes later, I realize that I forgot to connect the bridge to the lever, reminded to me by the minotaur punching a child to death in my meeting hall (ironically, this happened right next to said lever. So, I ended up recruiting 15 unarmed, unarmored and untrained dorfs to go punch him to death. The damn minotaur kills three more and cripples some people before an engraver punches him in the head and kills him instantly.
So, yeah, that was quite fun, in both meanings of the word. I thought that was gonna be the first time I'm gonna get a 'your fort crumbled' ending (I usually abandon out of boredom), but the casualties were surprisingly low. Still doesn't change the fact that my fortress is completely military-less through. I guess I gotta rely on those caravans bringing me metal bars now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Minotaur attack!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:43:12 pm »

Sounds like a good start to me.

Did you know you can engrave a memorial slab to a dead enemy?  Any dead, intelligent, named creature, or any tame animal not killed by butchering, can be slabbed.  Tigermen cannot be slabbed, unless one gets adopted, though they are intelligent.  Chicken pets can be slabbed, even though they're not.  Minotaurs can be always.  Sounds like a good way to commemorate the event!

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »

Are minotaurs butcherable? His corpse is sitting in the refuse pile, so I'm guessing not, but maybe my butcher is being a dumbass again. It would be nice to have some minotaur roast to celebrate our victory.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »

Nah, minotaurs can learn and speak, so they're off limits for the dwarven kitchen.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »

Reminds me of a question I use to see how people think: "You kill a minotaur, and eat it. Cannibalism or beef?"
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:48:22 pm »

Beef, duh. Just like elves eating dwarves, humans and goblins isn't cannibalism. Nasty, sure, but it doesn't count as cannibalism. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:22:51 am »

Beef, duh. Just like elves eating dwarves, humans and goblins isn't cannibalism. Nasty, sure, but it doesn't count as cannibalism. :P

If you found a race of sentients, would you harvest their planet in the name of meat that tastes like chicken?

Well, of course this is bay12, so yes. But you get the idea.

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 04:11:44 am »

So you are telling me that some local residents decided to go on a minor tour?
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:56 am »

Good work MetalGear. Wish I could say your username without growling and exclaiming it. Remember to wash those wounds with soap, for ever and ever.

Reminds me of a question I use to see how people think: "You kill a minotaur, and eat it. Cannibalism or beef?"

Am I also a minotaur?