Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma cancer. It's the only explanation.  (Read 1097 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Magma cancer. It's the only explanation.
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:40:44 pm »

So some soil in and about my main entrance has become suddenly hot. Magma-hot. For no readily apparant reason.

I noticed when some woodchoppin dwarves started having their feet melt away if they walked anywhere near the zlevels above. There is no magma here or anywhere near. To solve this, I turned of temperature and had the affected squares dug out of the map. There was no magma, and the hot soil is gone, so theres no more problems......... but still, any idea what I broke?

::EDIT::
Until I get a better reason, the official hypothesis is that either
A: Magma cancer in the soil, or
B: My steel blade traps are just so powerful that they heat up the earth with the excess awesome they give off when murdering gobbos.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:42:50 pm by dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Magma cancer. It's the only explanation.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »

You used advanced world generation?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »

Oh. Gee, y'kno what? I don't actually remember. Damn.

I do, on and off as a general rule, though  :-\ And I've been playing this particuar world for awhile now, haven't run
into this before.

Just sprang up somewhere else, too. 'Bout 10 zblocks away to the left. Fire just started in the middle of grassy hills. Beekeeper melted. It's like Dante's Inferno (not the book, the old 90's movie about volcanoes and people get boiled and oh whatever never mind).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:13:24 pm by dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »

You're world max temperature is high then.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:33:13 pm »

It seems to be an affected square, about 10x10 in area.

Im mining it out. Only 1 z level. Whenever anyone steps on it, steam shoots up, a la magma. Seems that once the block is gone the problem is fixed.

The spots with trees within the square are unaffected.

I turned temperature back on, assuming the problem was "solved" and the dwarves that had previously mined out the square (and one cat) exploded into flames, despite now being elsewhere entirely. Also, now the next z-level down has a square about 3x3 affected by magma cancer. That was two legendary miners T_T
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:00:22 pm by dunamisdeos »

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:13:34 pm »

Armok is angry at you

Sacrifice your migrants to him (and a healthy dose of elves) to appease his wrath and perhaps he will allow you to live.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »

I agree. It is clearly a curse from Armok.

Do you think pasting migrants at the bottom of a pit will do, or should I set up a magma pit in keeping with his
apparant theme?

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »

I agree. It is clearly a curse from Armok.

Do you think pasting migrants at the bottom of a pit will do, or should I set up a magma pit in keeping with his
apparant theme?

Throw them into the magma-cancer hole. That's the obvious pockmark in reality which Armok created to punish you, so even if he doesn't take mercy on you maybe throwing enough soap makers in there will plug the hole to His domain up.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »

It is done. The magma cancer hole now has a goblin, troll, and elf storage facility next to it as well. If at first you don't succeed, repetition will eventually please Armok. Or something like that.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 10:15:14 am »

Are you using any mods (esp. Genesis)? Has a dragon been by lately? Have you submerged any stuff (like steel equipment) in magma?
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »

It IS possible something got touched by magma during pump stack creation. But no, there are no mods active. I'm playin' vanilla. Joking aside, I'm going to assume somebody decided to eff around with my fort when I was out of the room.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 02:06:47 pm »

It IS possible something got touched by magma during pump stack creation. But no, there are no mods active. I'm playin' vanilla. Joking aside, I'm going to assume somebody decided to eff around with my fort when I was out of the room.

heh,  I first read that as ELF around with your fortress and was wondering when elves gained the ability to superheat soil.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »

Seriously, world gen max temperatures are high enough to make stone warm, and melt the flesh off Dorfs. Even vaporize everything.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 11:31:42 pm »

Well, damn. Time to move underground until the world cools, I guess. Then our civilization will emerge to reclaim Tar Alu, the Land of Wind from the disfigured fire-elves and heat-men, who have evolved during the millenia to survive on a planet as hot as a pancake griddle. But the dwarves will have developed strage, otherworldly powers from their eons-long hibernation, which will serve them well in the inevitable wars for dominance of the planet's last remaining resources. After the dust settles, the dwarves will have no other option but to construct spacecraft out of slade and rock nuts, and spread out to the stars in search of resource-rich solar systems to plunder. They will conquer inhabited planets, use every natural resource, then move on to the next planet. They will be like spaceborne locusts, a plague, a scourge.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116629/

Sequel, anyone?