Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: an idea, treat above ground and underground ecologies diffrently.  (Read 882 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just noticed a pattern with my last fortress,  digging down to the underground caverns can some times mean that critters will spawn down there, since the map only allows 2 wild animals to exist, this means any attempt for my hunters to hunt the underground animals will result in a forgotten beats to likely run straight into my fortress and go right for the booze stock pile (NOT THE BOOZE).  My problem is now the above ground animals will not spawn and my fortress was running low on food,  thankfully I had plenty of pack animals the caravan was in town,  I was able to purchase over 1,000 meals to fortress stabilized at-least while i get some cave wheat and rock nut seeds delivered.

any ways,  it would be nice to if dwarf fortress treated these areas differently so that you have 2 animals above ground and 2 bellow ground.  I think toady has mentioned something about changing wild animals so that they are more inserting and interact with each other (i think something along the lines of the local leopard hunting the local herbivores).
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: an idea, treat above ground and underground ecologies diffrently.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

I just noticed a pattern with my last fortress,  digging down to the underground caverns can some times mean that critters will spawn down there, since the map only allows 2 wild animals to exist, this means any attempt for my hunters to hunt the underground animals will result in a forgotten beats to likely run straight into my fortress and go right for the booze stock pile (NOT THE BOOZE).  My problem is now the above ground animals will not spawn and my fortress was running low on food,  thankfully I had plenty of pack animals the caravan was in town,  I was able to purchase over 1,000 meals to fortress stabilized at-least while i get some cave wheat and rock nut seeds delivered.

any ways,  it would be nice to if dwarf fortress treated these areas differently so that you have 2 animals above ground and 2 bellow ground.  I think toady has mentioned something about changing wild animals so that they are more inserting and interact with each other (i think something along the lines of the local leopard hunting the local herbivores).

I think you are experiencing a bug, or you're not playing the latest version.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."