Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants not leaving  (Read 452 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants not leaving
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:16:02 pm »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

The last group of merchants (humans) left the depot some time ago. since then, they are wandering around, sometimes climbing up stairs with their horses, sometimes getting down on the ground again - but not actually leaving.

I checked for "Depot access" (you never know if not one of those nasty tree-thingies has grown where it shouldn't), but there is a continous, three-wide way to the edge of the map.

Just in case, I just ordered the trees in the outer ten tiles of the map to be cut down, so they can leave in whatever direction thy like, but my guys are not that fast in cutting down.

Any other reason why they are roaming the battlements instead of using a nice, paved dolomite road to the edge of the map?

Yours, Christian
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Merchants not leaving
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »

Caravan pack animals don't actually follow roads - they simply pick the closest (assuming no obstacles) accessible map edge and try to get there.

By any chance are they trying to leave the map through the underground caverns? Sometimes caravans decide to do that for some reason, and they can get confused in the process.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.