Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how you get your military to work?  (Read 4038 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: how you get your military to work?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 11:05:08 am »

How you get your military to work?

Long answer: Magma Wiki : Military.

Short answer: You Don't.
(two mäny bugz)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 11:07:21 am »

Or drive insanely skilled soldiers mad and drive them towards the enemy.

The perfect soldiers.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 11:12:50 am »

Or drive insanely skilled soldiers mad and drive them towards the enemy.

The perfect soldiers.
Lock Highly Trained Dwarf in Cell with Food and Water Chute.
Drive it Insane.
Keep it Alive.
Unleash it if needed.
!!FUN!!

In other words, I for one approve, Good Sir!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 11:14:09 am »

Sadly, insane dwarves cant be fed. Which is why I made a caste of dwarves ESPECIALLY for such a purpose.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »

4 main squads of ten: 1 squad of hammer dwarves, 1 squad of spear or pick dwarves, 1 squad of sworddwarves and 1 squad of marksdwarves. These 4 squads all fight together in a "best defense is a good offense" type of manner. I then have smaller squads of markdwarves defending pillboxes and towers and a squad of 5-10 Fortress guard with steel swords and training spears.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »

The best approach with Fortress Defense, seems to be to embark with 4 or 6 military dwarves. There are two options for training, the first is to embark them with Proficient weapon skill, and put them in squads of 2 and have them train non-stop. The second is to make them all proficient teachers, combined with a proficient combat skill. The skills you want are Weapon Skills, Dodger, Shield User, Fighter, Armor User, Striker. Don't both with non-proficient skills. Put them all in one big squad and let them teach each other and develop their teacher and student skills. Sparring in squads of 2 is generally better, but the big teacher squad is not invariably bad. Initially have them train with a weapon+shield, but try to give them full metal body coverage before too long (helm+mail shirt+gauntlets+high boots), weighing dorfs down with a lot of armor seems to slow training if they're low level, but give the high level ones full chain and plate.

This embark squad of 4 or 6 military dwarves should form the melee core of your military, and the first couple of immigration waves will mainly be needed to fill civilian roles, but you can try and make a couple more melee sparring squads, but since they'll be noobs let them train deep underground and don't have them engage the enemy until they are properly trained.

With the later immigration waves, let dwarves with useful civilian skills, like High Master Armorsmith, join civilian life (ideally turn off any skills that would cause them to go outside). Recruit EVERYONE else into marksdwarf squads. It's unrealistic to except 20 marksdwarves to train on archery targets, although you can do this if you want to burn bolts (it does work if you fiddle with their bolt settings in the ammunition screen), mainly they should be trained by shooting at live targets, which if I remember correctly produces 3x the experience per bolt. Wild life is very good and puts food on the table, or you can shoot prisoners through fortifications. This will quickly get them up to at least proficient crossbow and archery skill.
These marksdwarves squads can be kept permanently inactive, with no place to train, so that they do hauling, farming tasks, medical tasks, etc. When you want them, just station them since inactive squads automatically become active while stationed (or while given a kill order). Releasing them from the order, causes them to return to inactive state - which can be useful to get them to run away.

When sieges come, have the core of 4 or 6 elite embark dwarves, immediately engage each enemy squad in turn, this relies on the two strategies of "divide and conquer" (killing each enemy squad individually) and "numerical superiority" (engaging each individual enemy squad with overwhelming melee power, routing them almost instantly).
Station the marksdwarves at the entrance to your fortress, and station any less-elite melee to protect them. While the elite squads destroy each enemy squad in turn, the marksdwarves and less-elite will protect the fortress entrance.

Pages: 1 [2]