Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced worldgen - Flux and aquifers  (Read 413 times)

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced worldgen - Flux and aquifers
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:13:44 am »

I'm trying to gen a world with flux but no aquifers. How do I do this? I can't use the wiki 'cos it's down.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced worldgen - Flux and aquifers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:15:17 am »

You will have to mod those aquifers out.
Search for aquifer in the raws.
Select any file that comes up
Replace aquifer with nothing.
Reapeat till no results are found.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:19:20 am »

Which raw file is it in?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:41:27 am »

Depends on the mod, you should be able to search(theres a search bar) aquifer in the raws to find it.
Its in stuff like "inorganic_stone" or "inorganic_soil"
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:46:00 am »

Deletd all aquifer references. Now to see what happens.

Edit: It worked.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:07:37 am by Ivir_Baggins »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »

Lazy Newb Pack will also do this for you.

On a slight tangent, if the flux is in an aquifer, is there any reasonable way to get it out?

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »

I routinely mine ore, coal etc out of sandstone aquifers. I've never encountered flux in an aquifer though.

It's going to depend somewhat on the layout of the aquifer. Where is the flux in the aquifer? If it's on the top of the aquifer, just mining out the dry core is easy enough, but I'll assume it's sandwiched between aquifer layers so you get the "leaky ceiling problem", but have infinite drainage below.

Basically you need to exploit the fact, that when falling water hits 7/7 water, it tries to teleport to a place where it fits. An aquifer is considered an infinite empty space for the purpose of teleporting water, so if you have a pond in an aquifer, any water falling into that pond will simply disappear from existence, you could say it's "absorbed" into the aquifer, but in truth it instantly vanishes. This allows you to efficiently drain the water from higher aquifer layers.

So. You need to mine out columns of up/down stairs, which go from below the flux layer, to a dry layer above (to eliminate "leaky ceilings"). Any water which comes out of the aquifer walls, falls into the bottom pond, and disappears from existence. Up/down stairs are good because they function as mining for the purpose of extracting stones, allow access above and below, and allow water to fall through. You should make a large block of these columns - always columns of up/down stairs reaching from the dry layer to the aquifer layer below the ore layer - it wont work well if you don't keep the sides of the mined out area vertical because you'll have water falling and flowing all over the place.

Once you've mined out everything you want, you need to seal the walls of the aquifer so you don't have ongoing leakage. Starting from the top down, build constructed walls to seal the walls of the aquifer, or you can smooth stone aquifer.
Do note that if you're going to do this, you want to think big. It's relatively less work to dig out a lot than a little. For example if you dig out a 4x4 area, you get 16 stones, and require 16 stones to seal the four walls (a 1:1 ratio). But if you dig out a 20x20 area, you get 400 stones, and require 80 stones to seal the four walls (a 5:1 ratio).

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.