Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Refuse management inside the fortress.  (Read 1801 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse management inside the fortress.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 12:20:14 pm »

- Dig a hole down into the cavern.
- Hatch on top.
- Dump zone.
And voila. A dump zone that seals the miasma out. Sod the cavern.

Alternatively, use magma to sanitize the dump. You can even avoid magma critters by channelling out a small hole next to the magma supply with a grate in it, and dumping into that instead. If you make it so the magma flows over and down a grate rather than straight into, you just burn things rather than melt, and you get to keep things like rocks. Best done with a manual pump.
Best enclose the dump area, to avoid smoke spreading.

Or an atom-smasher.

Or make a sanitized outdoor area with a curtain wall.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 01:18:14 pm »

Well here is design of my latest fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4 bridges on the top are automatically dumping any incomming ambushers thanks to pressure plates (left one rises other 3 retracts). Because from a single attack I have to clean after 40 ambushers which is really annoying. Now they clean after themselves. It has some flaws with caravans/dwarfs and scared animals and invisible ambushers camping on pressure plate but hey I like it.

About this dumping location. It is constructed 3x2x1 walls above opened volcano, covered with roof/floor and from below it is protected by retracting 1x1 bridge (which is opened by that lever next to it). Simply dump everything on that bridge and pull the lever when there is no ennemy nearby. And if you are afraid of dumped items flying everywhere then build it 2 z-levels hign (or deap?). And designated dumping zone must be on a solid ground next an open space (above the bridge). And place there some impenetrable doors or something - just use your imagination.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »

Curiously, bridges do not seem to fling things in ballistic arcs but rather throw them sideways with great force.

Specifically, objects flung by bridges move in straight lines until they hit something or run out of momentum.  Then those objects fall straight down at a constant speed.

If there's nowhere to fling an item then it's crushed out of existence.

Not quite correct.  When a raising bridge raises, one side of the bridge becomes a wall.  Any items on the tiles that become a wall are crushed, regardless of whether there's anywhere for them to be flung.  Objects on the rest of the bridge are flung.  When a raising bridge lowers, any objects in the way are simply crushed.  Retracting bridges, on the other hand, never crush objects, even if there's nowhere for them to be flung.

I ran out of cats before I figured that part out.  ???
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 12:37:08 am »

I suggest atom smashing it, while I do enjoy a lava pit for burning things, you will likely have magma safe stuff occasionally you wish to destroy as well, as such the less creative and more boring atom smasher is yet to be beaten for garbage disposal.

Also using the crematorium mod allows you to cut back on A LOT of waste from butchering automatically without having to manually do it (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54058.0), thats to late for this embark though.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 04:47:42 pm »

Refuse you want to keep or garbage you don't care about?

In the former case, the 'best' way is to excavate a hole from surface level, then seal the top up once more. Miasma is not generated by areas that have been exposed to sunlight, so butcher's byproducts don't create miasma if they're left to rot in the shops, for example. Doing this above a refuse stockpile can be used to keep miasma from spreading off your stockpiles.

In the latter case, when you don't want to instantly magma-fy everything you throw away (just in case) then you use Diagon Al's Miasma Modulator (patent pending).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:50:42 pm by Nameless Archon »

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »

I stumbled upon a relatively good magma-incinerator. It exploits the fact that you can pile up magma on top of magma, and can be thought of as a retracting bridge design without the retracting bridge.

Start with a large magma reservoir.
Build a smaller incineration chamber on top of the magma reservoir. The floor of the chamber should be downstairs or grates - downstairs generally work fine, but grates will catch falling objects if you're using a chute. To be clear, the downstairs are directly on top of magma. Dwarves walking across them will have magma right under their feet.
Build pumps which draw magma from the reservoir and into the left end of the incineration chamber.

When the pumps are switched on, the pumped magma will "float" across the magma in the reservoir below the downstairs/grates, burning everything on the downstairs/grates. Exactly how far the magma will travel depends on how effectively the pumps can draw magma - about 15 or 20 tiles seems doable for a simplistic setup. It also seems to depend on what direction the magma is flowing, it seems to work best if it flows from left to right, in the other direction it only seems to go a few tiles before sinking.

Once the pumps are switched off, the magma will, in a matter of seconds, sink down through the downstairs/grates back into the reservoir, allowing your dwarves to re-enter to dump refuse or collect iron - or to let the next squad of enemies in for processing.

So as I said it's like a retracting bridge design without the retracting bridge. The pump pressure alone is enough to keep the chamber flooded with magma. And it's quite a bit less effort to set up, requiring a mere fraction of the magma safe materials. (Incidentally I stumbled upon it by failing to use a magma safe retracting bridge. When the bridge melted, I noticed the chamber worked fine without the bridge, for as long as the pump was running).
Pages: 1 [2]