Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips for more silk/wood  (Read 927 times)

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips for more silk/wood
« on: August 13, 2006, 04:17:00 am »

If your having problems getting all the silk or wood you need, here is a trick for getting it. Dig a large cavern, haul the rocks out of it, leave just enough for supports, then either flood it (with a floodgate near a river) or build the floodgate and don't flood it. If its flooded then it will make young tower caps, which can be harvested in 3 years for wood (about 1 per 10 tiles), or it will make lots of webs sprout up, and since its off the beaten path then people won't stomp through them and they'll be able to be collected. It is a long way to go for wood, but if you do it right you can simply re-purpose your ore-gathering rooms for wood farming, and every bit of wood does help.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for more silk/wood
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 05:08:00 am »

This will be a lot easier to do with re-walling, I think. That will allow for more effective flooding setups.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Tips for more silk/wood
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »

I tend to flood huge tracts of land for this purpose, whenever I get the means to flood huge tracts of land for this purpose.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin