Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My current Challenge  (Read 955 times)

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My current Challenge
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:09:44 pm »

My current challenge is to play with the Forstress defense mod with challenge creatures, Wizard tower (as either wizards or sorcerers), seasonal crops mod, higher learning mod with the goal of having 1/3 of my fortress be permenant students, only using 15 of each trap type, no path finding traps and max of 1/3 of my fortress being military. Oh and to try and kill as many enimies as possible no just holing up the fortress and not leaving.

After about a dozen attempts at this I have not made it past 7 years. Lost my first 2 fortresses using the seasonal crops mod due to lack of food and tantrum spirals. I usauly last around 5 years now before I succomb to an invasion, usualy it is nightwings. Those things are real bastards. Occasional it is elves as they have 6+ ambush squads on the map and I get killed as I try to handle what was at first a small attack n some people that just should not have left the fortress. Or I am being abushed by elves or giant spiders and then invasion start hitting so I have to choose between losing my military as I lock them out with all of the invaders or trying to keep the fortress from being overcome. Or just turn the spike trap on repeat and who ever gets it gets it.

This would be easier with dwarves. Wizards and Sorcerers do not have full armour and I think what they do have is weaker. So a danger room will break a lot of hands. And most invaders do not come with gauntlets so I am stuck doing the regualr training. Wizards are good at the start as their magic blasts are very effective against weaker enemies. But nightwings, elephants and giants? I'm screwed. I've even been embarking with a wizrds that has military skills and teaching. Still no dice.

So much for Dwarf fortress being easy but I have found some fun.
On the up side my last two fortresses were lost ot human error so victory may be on the way.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: My current Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:09:06 pm »

Tried magma yet?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:04:46 pm »

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:17:49 pm »

I've been avoiding pumping stuff due to frame rate issues.
The game gets slow enough as it is at higher pop levels but something like that is probaly my best option at this point.