Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?  (Read 4888 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 09:05:30 am »

For me, it will be definitely worth the wait, no matter in what state the release be - even if it would be a bug-ridden, unplayable thing. DF is IMO one of the most ambitious gaming project I have ever seen, feature and depth-wise. I admit that I played mainly the adventure mode, with only a few very unsuccessful attempts at the dwarf mode, but it is equally enjoyable for me to watch where the project goes and what it tries to do.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 03:07:34 pm »

I just wrote a quick overview of new fort stuff for someone who asked elsewhere, so I think I'll copy-paste it:

These updates are mostly oriented towards adventure mode, but most of the new monsters (werewolves, vampires, necromancers and reworked undead) will appear in fort mode. Mummies won't, unless Toady's done something there that he hasn't revealed, and the cities and undercities don't effect dwarf mode at all. However there's also some good additions that are mostly fortress-oriented.
The identities and the justice system revision in particular are rather a big deal; you will no longer know about deaths until they're reported, and you won't know who did it.
The Units list is divided into four categories (citizens, pets/livestock, others, dead/missing), which is a huge benefit to its usefulness for most people.
Designations can go across z-levels, which makes long staircases and certain megaprojects much easier.
We also have a revision of gem cutting, adding a lot more variety (but I don't think functionality changed)
The fat burning changes effect combat in both modes, but since you couldn't get a dwarf to deliberately burn his fat away before, I don't think it changes much practically. It just makes wounds from fire more realistic.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 03:53:36 pm »

Yeah i think th e wait will be worth it to Fortress players if simply because it means toady will (possibly) get onto another fortress arc. Plus while i usually only play frotress myself that's only because adventure mode is currently rather stale. No matter ow strong you get the only thing you can really do is kill things. You can't really buy anything other the weapons and armor, the only quests are to go kill things and there is no persistant plots. I want to rescue a elven princess from a goblin tower, and retrieve a stolen artifact, and hunt dow night terrors. (so i'll still bekilling things) I think after this update I'll play adventure mode a lot more. And since I'm not a totally unique snowflake i figure at least a few other people will do the same.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:11 pm »

I wonder, in the following release, to you think we will get returning enemies in Fort Mode? Such as goblins that fled during a siege on your fortress three years ago coming back to have another go? Because that alone would make it worth the wait for me.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 12:42:01 am »

There are now bloodrains and burning mist in Fortress Mode. Is that good enough?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 06:42:15 am »

There might be a chance that mummy crypts could be embarked upon, similar to candycane dungeons.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 04:22:25 pm »

I dont know, adventure mode is utter shit boring right now so it needs something, and every addition is a step towards the massive compilation of work that is....

DWARF FORTRESS

so yeah, be patient and stick around for another few years...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]