Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: LP Modded MOO3 again: The stalemate of Thok  (Read 15221 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: LP Modded MOO3 again: The stalemate of Thok
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2012, 04:42:33 pm »

couldn't we bomb the planet to soften them up? or is the navy more concerned with puttering about and looking pretty while the real men do the work?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »

We lack the heavy weapons (light mass drivers dont really cut it TBH) to really damage thier ground forces yet - when we get some destroyers in to service this will begin to change. Add in to this the fact that the Meklar live in subterranean tunnels with an inherant bombardment defence, and you end up with highly innefective bombardments.

So, in answer to your question, yes, they basically putter around in thier shiny tin cans doing not that much.

The good news is that on the horizon are a whole slew of awesome weapon techs, with a nifty infantry weapon amongst them that will make the Meklar troops look very vulnerable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:54:28 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:58 pm »

Well tell the R&D boys to hurry it up. I have already acquired  more money playing poker than most citizens earn in ten years
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2012, 06:32:59 pm »

This looks interesting and makes me want to pick up MOO3 from GOG now. Alas for the lack of disposable funds! That said, I'd like to be a ground forces commander if possible.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2012, 01:18:26 pm »

Herr Von shade is blockading!
"Good, be careful boys! We need to destroy anything, especially those things with *First aid* or *international relief effort* that try to go through!"
"yes, sir!"
"Also, those school interplanar buses, it's clear meklar children are enemies to be."
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »

Herr Von shade is blockading!
"Good, be careful boys! We need to destroy anything, especially those things with *First aid* or *international relief effort* that try to go through!"
"yes, sir!"
"Also, those school interplanar buses, it's clear meklar children are enemies to be."

And none of this is a crime against humanity!  Because meklar aren't human, of course.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2012, 07:00:30 pm »

This looks... really cool. So I have to get the actual game on like a CD first, then download the mod that you are using? Where would I get the CD?

Also, is there some sort of guide to the game/mod, or is it quite self-explanatory?

For now, I'm just posting to watch, but that may change when (if) I get the game and learn more about it. However, I'll probably just continue to observe this invigorating saga with anticipation.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2012, 05:03:41 am »

I got my copy about 6 months after it was resleased many years ago, sitting in a bargain bin. You might try looking on eBay... as mentioned, some forms of the dowloadable version can be modded, and others cant sue to some kind of change made to the .exe file by Atari. There is a manual on the disk, but it bears little resemblance to the actual game. I learnet it by experimentation and lareg amounts of online multiplayer with the modding community. This thread and the older ones linked in the OP provide details on a small number of the core mechanics of gameplay, and I am more than willing to explain anything people feel the need to ask. There is a small and nearly defunct community at www.moo3.at, and googling for the "Atari forums moo3" should find you the old archived threads of the now killed off modding community, which would have everything you need if Atari had not culled it.

More turns will be played early next week.
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2012, 03:09:54 pm »

Aww :(. Sorry your computer got zapped, that's gotta suck. Well, it was good while it lasted. Also, sorry about my lack of participation other than asking for a world, I was out of town and just got back. I like where I ended up, though!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »

I am very tempted to start another one though. Shame as this was a very good early game position to be in.
This is a blank sig.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2012, 03:14:25 pm »

Cool, I'll watch that one if you end up doing it. Question, though. What kind of things do you get from Biological research? Is it mostly civic improvements and things like that or can you get some sort of military improvements as well? I just noticed it was taking a back seat and was wondering if asking it to be boosted would have slowed down our military too much.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »

Biology mainly leads to techs linked to population growth, food production and terraforming, with a much smaller number of other unusual techs linked to spying or oldiers. Levels in biology often are secondary requirements for things like colony pods...

I had focussed on the schools directly linked to military due to us heading for an early war.
This is a blank sig.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »

Yeah, I was guessing the techs you had emphasized were because we were aiming for war. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]