Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What do you guys bring along when you embark?  (Read 8649 times)

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys bring along when you embark?
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2012, 04:06:21 pm »

Depends on the embark site but generally:

Hostile embark:
2 axes
2 picks
anvil
15 food
30 drink
5/ea of the underground plant seeds
2 war dog
(with 2 miners, a farmer/herbalist, a guard, a broker/manager, woodcutter/carpenter/mason/architect, and a Doctor(Who in her spare time works as a stone/bonecrafter))

Non-hostile embark:
2 pick
1 axe
1 anvil
15 food
30 drink
5/ea seeds
2 cats
(2 miners, woodcutter, noble, mason/carpenter, farmer, and a whim-decided final dwarf (whatever I feel like at the time))

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »

1. Dwarves. T'would be pointless without dwarves.
2. Beer. Lots of beer.
3. Ale. Lots of ale.
4. A dwarf named Chuck Norris, with (soon to be legendary) unarmed skills.
5. More ale.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2012, 04:27:27 pm »

I like to bring 20-40 pieces of bituminous coal, since fuel is the thing I find most likely to be short on. Usually an anvil and 4 each of copper ore and cassiterite, since bronze bars are quicker and more efficient to smelt than copper ones. I'll generally have three mid-skilled miners to start with, so I can quickly make a lot of room, and they'll be useful for emergency defense too.
As for animals, usually one cat, 5 dogs, and two or three turkeys do the trick.
I always bring a proficient weaponsmith, armorsmith, and mason, and the rest of the skills tend to depend on what's at the location.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:29:42 pm by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2012, 05:14:29 pm »

I know people have already found the minimum and optimized items to bring on embark. However, I can't remember seeing a optimized dwarf skill embark package. I tried to create one based on how easy it was to train certain skills vs. how useful they were, as well as giving each dwarf a moodable skill:

1. Full Doctor - If you disable skill rust like I do, it is unlikely for a long-lasting fort that you'll have a single skilled doctor to keep permanently "on call" in the hospital. In the early game the doctor makes beds and stuff to pick up the Carpenter skill for moods.

2. Miner/x - The x is social skills to make this dwarf the leader/trader, because miners can fight well if ambushed at the trade depot by kobolds/goblins.

3. Grower/(Armorsmith or Weaponsmith or Blacksmith or Metalcrafter or Gemsetter)

4. Brewer/(Armorsmith or Weaponsmith or Blacksmith or Metalcrafter or Gemsetter)

5. Teacher/x/y - The x skill is a military skill that can be taught to recruits, whereas the y skill is something useful and moodable. I recommend a Teacher/Marksdwarf/Mechanic who can train recruits to be marksdwarves without requiring training ammo or a archery range, and who can defend himself when setting/reloading traps.

6. A/B - The A skill is a moodable skill, whereas the B skill is a non-moodable skill. Both depend on your site and goals.

7. A/B - The A skill is a moodable skill, whereas the B skill is a non-moodable skill. Both depend on your site and goals.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »

Four picks, lots of sand, wood, brains of everything my civ has. An axe. Varied booze. Seeds.

Dwarves start as ambushers, learn everything on-site as needed. Migrants take care of the rest.

Somewhat slow setup, but it works fine.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:36 pm »

However, I can't remember seeing a optimized dwarf skill embark package.
Let me entertain me on this matter. Unfortunately I play mostly my mod where a large portion of skills are untrainable so my list might not be optimal for vanilla. Also note that I perform genetic selection so I rely on gambling for high master immigrants, the best you can get.

Vanilla:
1 leader. This is the person will as many noble position as possible and be the architect in his spare time. Appraisal (1) Designer (5) Consoler (2) and Pacifier (2)
1 butcher Butchery (5) This guy is quite important since most of my food come from animals and it takes a lot of time to butcher anything now.
1 tanner Tannery (5) same as above
1 doctor/menial laborer Diagnoser (5) and bone setting (5)
The rest are easy to train on site with the exception of very costly smithy jobs with I grind immigrants for. so 3 hunter with ambusher (1) for the free crosssbow set.

IM:
1 leader. Pacifier (5) and consoler (5). Personal skills cannot be trained in IM and these are very importants to avoid tantrum spirals
1 warchief/organizer/doctor. This guy take up all positions with mandates (5 from military leader, 3 from chief medic and 1 from broker) so usually I reroll specifically for his preference a bit. He's built with appraisal 1 (too useful to pass) organizer 5 (cause it cannot be trained) and 1 point in each doctor skills except for wound dressing cause it's be applied alot and train quickly anyway.
And 5 hunters with ambusher (1) because all the trainable skills arent important in the beginning or it's a better idea to keep your fortress wealth as low as possible. Beside, it's much easier to stumble upon high master immigrants in IM.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »

Experienced farmers harvest more food+seeds.
I guess that's useful but by the second or third harvest I generally have entirely too many plants laying around.

My issue's generally the booze. Better farmers produce bigger stacks of plants, which equals more booze per barrel, saving time, space, etc. Keeping my dwarves from starving isn't hard. Keeping them from crossing half the fucking map to drink out of The Carpzone because I don't have enough plump helmets to spare for the brewer, that's another matter.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]