Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress defence tips?  (Read 2693 times)

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress defence tips?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »

Try removing up-ramps and channelling strategically to try and make enemies only attack from one direction, then add loads of traps and station marksdwarves behind some fortifications somewhere near the front.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress defence tips?
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »

Here's what I usually do, without traps or much in the way of bridges.

* Try to find an embark site with metal or embark with a lot of ore or prepare to dig down to adamantine. Volcano embarks are a great help as always.

* I normally embark with three civilians and four soldiers. I usually go with 1 point in Axe, 4 in Armor User and 5 in Dodging for the soldiers. I always bring an armorsmith and weaponsmith.

* Embark! I place the soldiers in two squads of two, build an armour stand near the hole in the ground that's my entrance and set them up to start training from the beginning. Make sure they have weapons and shields.

* The civilians dig out a fort and start looking to make weapons and armour. Most migrants in the first few months go into more squads of two. I normally seal up the original entrance and build a long corridor to fight in. I only place highly skilled, well armed and armoured dwarves on the front line. For example, in my current fort is about three years old now, with 55 soldiers and 12 in the main barracks at the entrance. The rest are in the fort training in other barracks. Generally I find I need about 10-15 soldiers. The original four soldiers do the bulk of the killing but they're not enough on their own, they'll get knocked down and killed without some support.
Pages: 1 [2]