Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Init file changes not taking effect  (Read 668 times)

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Init file changes not taking effect
« on: December 31, 2011, 06:18:55 pm »

My latest fortress, Oilnames, was an attempt to learn a lot more about the game that is usually prevented by more goblin seiges than I can handle. I've managed to learn so much about how to setup industries, I'm now ready to turn back on invasions since I turned it off in the init file.

My FPS are monsterously low at this point, and I know I need to cull a lot of my dwarves to get it back up.

Much to my surprise, turning invasions to ON has not produced any invasions. Also, I noticed my dwarf cap was at 200, but I currently have 233 dwarves. What is going on there? Why didn't immigation waves stop and goblins not show up?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Init file changes not taking effect
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 06:23:06 pm »

Did you restart DF completely?  Close the program and restart, don't just save and reload.  "init" stands for "initialization" - it only takes effect when the program starts.

Otherwise: Are you sure that there's a hostile civ?  Sometimes goblins are extinct and elves are at peace.  And the population cap isn't a hard cap, people need to realize this.  It's a very rough approximation and you will go over your pop cap.  I set mine to 20 and get 50, set it to 50 and get 55, set it to 100 and get 125, etc...  Plus babies and children don't count towards the population cap, they follow their own, separate cap.  So if you've got a cap of 50 and a population of 55, and 5 of those are children, then everything is working as intended.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:25:18 pm »

It takes a while for the goblins to get the armies to your fort for a siege, so that's why you didn't get sieges immediately. These things take time to organize, you know!

If your dwarves are doing a lot of baby-making, that isn't immigration and can surpass your pop cap. In addition, migrant waves will come if your population is below the cap, and won't be sized by how far below the cap you are, so if you were at 195 dwarves you might have still gotten a horde of 20+ migrants.

However, if you reduce the cap now and get your dorfs killed off by sieges and megabeasts, you won't get new migrants until your population is below the cap again.

Also look into animal populations (cats and birds are notorious offenders, especially since bird clutches make it very easy to surpass the population cap for animals), and check the DF wiki page for improving your framerate.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 06:46:34 pm »

I figured that init was about initialization, so I did restart with little effect.

I used Dwarf Therapist to identify what the situation was with respect to children...HOLY SMOKES. 48 of my Dwarves are babies or children. That explains a great deal of my 99 idlers!

I suppose I will wait for the seiges, which I'm expecting to solve some of my population issues. It has been a year so far of waiting, so I'm hoping for some action soon.

I'm also looking at techniques to wall off passages to prevent branching and pathfinding issues that lower FPS.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:51:08 pm »

d - o restrict the empty areas and high the hallways, this will streamline pathing a ton.  You can also restrict the entire surface, it works surprisingly well when all of your dwarves are underground doing work and no one needs to go top-side.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:38:28 pm »

Thanks for the advice!

I'm going through labelling the areas as High traffic now.

Also, a snatcher just went after one of the children, so I think I can expect a seige in awhile.

Thanks all!