Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crop Rotation, off-season  (Read 2013 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crop Rotation, off-season
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »

If I designate a plot to grow Pig Tail in Summer and Autumn, once Winter hits, what happens to Pig Tail plants still growing from Autumn?  Do they immediately wither away?

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crop Rotation, off-season
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:37:20 pm »

I believe they continue growing...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »

Oh!  I could've sworn I saw 2 different crops growing in the same plot once.  Now it makes sense.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:50:01 pm »

If they can grow in the new season, they continue growing, until they mature and get harvested.

If they can't grow in the new season, they disappear.

Pig Tails can't grow in winter, so they disappear once winter hits.

Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:19:13 pm »

I won't swear to it, but I'm fairly sure that's not right.

The way I think it works is that seeds are supposed to stay in the ground past a season change even if they can't be planted in the subsequent season, but there's a bug/undocumented fun/whatever that messes it up. Pig tails are what, summer and autumn? So you've got unsprouted pig tails in the ground come winter. If you've got the plot set to lay fallow that season, then the seeds stay in the ground and will come up. But if you've got the plot set to grow, say, dimple cups in the winter instead, then the seeds poof leaving an empty field.

I think. I haven't scienced it to be sure.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:33:46 pm »

I agree with Fishbulb - I think they stay. I think the season selection is for planting, but they can grow any time. I modded in a plant that took a year to grow, and although I could only plant them in spring, they grew fine until harvesting the next winter.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 08:18:59 pm »

Plants that are in the ground when the season changes to an off-season for that plant will poof unless the plot is fallow in that off-season.  Its a great way to lose all your seeds in the beginning, and very easy to avoid by just making a bunch of small, crop-specific plots that are otherwise fallow.  In this case, the plants remain until they are harvested.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 03:05:29 am »

I've never had a problem with off-season plants poofing in the ground when a new plant type was instructed to be planted.  They grow to maturity and then get their spot planted with the new plant.  Its worked that way since at least .38c, probably earlier.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 01:23:40 pm »

I've never had a problem with off-season plants poofing in the ground when a new plant type was instructed to be planted.  They grow to maturity and then get their spot planted with the new plant.  Its worked that way since at least .38c, probably earlier.

My experience has always been that the season change atomsmashes all seeds in the field. I've run out of seeds a few times because I didn't realize it was happening, and when I managed to catch a change of seasons, the field was planted one moment, and completely empty the next.

I seem to remember this happening even if the field was set to be fallow during that season. If it can't normally grow in the new season, it'll cease to exist at the start.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »

I've never witnessed plants vanishing ever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 05:39:59 pm »

I've never witnessed plants vanishing ever.

I've seen them spontaneously wither after season change :I