Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boatmurdered Map?  (Read 4941 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Boatmurdered Map?
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:34:14 am »

So I had an idea...  Long story short it involves a DF Fort or adventure scene and a LOT of thread.  I want to make a tapestry of some piece of dwarven history in cross-stitch.  I figured a good place to start was Boatmurdered, an iconic piece of Dwarven Legacy and, very importantly, 2D, allowing for easy cross-stitching on one layer.  However, I'm not ultimately very familiar with Boatmurdered, and don't have a map on-hand.  Does anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate map to use?  I'm very willing to instal 23a and boot a live save of Boatmurdered to work off - in fact this would be preferred as I can view the tiles at my leisure.

Also ideas: The striking of the Bronze Colossus Head via Fluffy Wambler - nice because that screenshot is floating around and easy to copy.  Perhaps something having to do with Cacame if I can find an appropriate image.  Other ideas are viable as long as there's a good image for me to base it off of, preferably ASCII screencap.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered Map?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:41:53 am »

I just combed through the lparchive entry, and it looks like this is the latest full image, taken right before the final turn.

Not seeing the corners on the square rooms (like on the far right) is actually making me feel really uncomfortable. Hahah.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:03:16 am »

That is the most recent full map I know of as well
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

You can skim through there for pictures and pieces at various times if it helps, as well as reading of any occurances you might want to add to your tapestry.

If you want to capture boatmurdered at it's end then the last few chapters/parts should help, basically everything that isn't spewing miasma is on fire and/or dieing.

Another one you may find interesting is copperblazes, which as the description claims, was pointlessly large (also 2D) and unlike boatmurdered it was pretty successful  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-309-copperblazes
That's my personal favourite slice of dorf history.

And for a more interactive map of boatmurdered, in case you want to see finer details and sections, rather than jsut the one huge image + ability to zoom etc. you can try here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6836-boatmurdered

Good luck on your tapestry, hope you plan to put pictures up!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 03:07:24 am »

I may have underestimated the scale of what I propose...  The original idea was to map out every pixel, since it's in nice and tidy tiles and each pixel can correspond to a square on the cross-stitch, you can rather easily do the entire thing translated pixel-for-pixel.  Except that's a LOT of thread...  8x12 pixels per tile, right?  Even if many of them are blank, like a grass tile might have 6 green pixels and 90 empty pixels, that's still just a lot of space taken up.  I may have to look into some very fine fabric and thread to make an extremely small, detailed image, otherwise it may measure in yards long.

Is anyone familiar with the dimensions of Boatmurdered?  4x4 embark size?  That'd be 1,536 x 2,304 total pixels, 3,538,944 total.  Even at 20-count, that's some 6.4 feet wide and 9.6 feet long!  I'd need like 40 count fabric to get it 5 foot long, that's 40 stitches per inch, and despite my very nimble fingers, that's a bit of a stretch...  Not to mention that fabric usually doesn't come wide enough to accommodate that size, so I'd need to merge two sheets together just to get the width.

Then again, much of the Boatmurdered map is unused space, I -could- shave off the edges, though that feels like cheating.  Maybe I'll start with the BC death scene or such.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 03:18:26 am »

Is anyone familiar with the dimensions of Boatmurdered?

I'm not sure if you could even change the size in 23a. I remember hearing about having to cycle through various embark sites, and looking at the first post the embark screen doesn't look as detailed.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 03:32:56 am »

Then assuming 4x4, that's a big map to try and cover, as detailed before in my maths.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 04:10:24 am »

The map trees linked to is 3744 x 5760 = 21,565,440 pixels. Good luck!

Perhaps a particular screenshot would work. The Hope you like miasma! one maybe.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 04:20:17 am »

in 2D, all embarks were the same size, and if I remember correctly they were much larger than 4x4 would be now,
the X deiensions alone were closer to 8 or maybe even 9 embrk tiles
an embark tile is 48x48, the pits in 23a were 330-360(ish) tiles into the mountainside, thats about 7.5 tiles, + the space after them + the space before the cavern would be about 8 or 9, for a low guess.
 (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/23a:Cavern_map)

As for the Y dimensions, I'm not sure but From memory I'd guess it's somewhere near 6 tiles.

The 2D maps were huge.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:24:47 am »

Yeah, don't think I'll be doing a full map, even if I could find a big enough sheet of fabric - which would be an investment in itself at upwards of $20 per foot!  At 20 count, that'd be 24 feet long, coming up at $500 for length, and due to that width it'd have to be two sheets woven together to become wider, likely upwards of $1500 for materials, all things told.  That's not counting my therapy bill for when I start to dream in cross-stitch...

323x180 looks much more manageable!  Though I'd have to OCD and expand it a little to make whole tiles, as the screenshot is cropped through tiles.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:39:37 am »

That's not counting my therapy bill for when I start to dream in cross-stitch...

Must be hard to get the therapists to understand you want your dreams to go back to ASCII.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:52:01 am »

All embark regions in the old 2D versions were 480x480 tiles, which is equivalent to a 10x10 embark. It may seem large, but it's only a single Z-level so it's actually quite small compared to what we've got today.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 09:25:13 am »

All embark regions in the old 2D versions were 480x480 tiles, which is equivalent to a 10x10 embark. It may seem large, but it's only a single Z-level so it's actually quite small compared to what we've got today.

Wow bigger than I remember, I always thought they were longer than they were tall, not squared.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »

480*8 and 480*12 gives 3,840x5,760 pixels, so that sounds legit compared to the full-size image dimensions.

Also, the bronze colossus wambler is using a tileset, not sure how I feel about this.