Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: merchants and stockpiles  (Read 619 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
merchants and stockpiles
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:34:02 am »

so, its fairly common knowledge that if you have massive empty stockpiles of wood and the like, it is possible to entice merchants to bring wood. the question being is if that applies to specifics- in that if i have a stockpile ofr only kimberlite, it will mean lots of kimberlite to be brought to my fort. if this is the case, then it could be used to entice merchants to bring specific metals and such in great freuency
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: merchants and stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:46:41 am »

I do not think merchants bring basic stones, but if they have access to kimblerite they will bring kimberlite blocks. You can only use them for walls and floors, not furniture or anything else.

I think, anyway. I could be wrong.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:19:21 am »

This is new knowledge to me... Does this work for everything? So I could say, set up a big giant badger stockpile.....

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:18:31 am »

Didn't Toady say it checked your *total* owned lumber? In one of those DF Talks. Does it really check stockpile percentages?
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:43:07 am »

I am fairly certain that merchants do not bring materials based on empty stockpile spaces.  I haven't tested this specifically, but it doesn't match what I've been seeing in my fortresses.

When dealing with a civilization that doesn't have a trade liaison, it may be that they check to see what materials you have that aren't forbidden, and then won't bring materials that you have a lot of.  I'm not sure how reliable this is, and in any case they won't bring things they wouldn't have anyway just because you don't have any.

If a civilization has a trade liaison, you can when you speak to them request rocks and stone blocks.  You can ask them to bring a stone like kimberlite, if they have access to it.  They will only bring up to 4 units of any one stone type in a year however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »

I do not think merchants bring basic stones, but if they have access to kimblerite they will bring kimberlite blocks. You can only use them for walls and floors, not furniture or anything else.

I think, anyway. I could be wrong.

They'll bring basic stones if you ask them to.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »

I don't use stockpiles for logs, and I get tons of wood on offer from the caravans. Usually lots and lots from humans, or at least it seems like they bring more.