Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An ghost that can't be given rest? :x  (Read 1135 times)

Jibba Jabba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An ghost that can't be given rest? :x
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:00:53 am »

Hi.

Erm I have a slight problem. I decided to reclaim a fortress lost to a goblin attack and after giving coffins to all the bodies I could find a certain ghost remains at large. He is the ghost of a beekeeper who stalks my dwarves and gives them horrible nightmares. The thing is, I can't find his body, nor can I engrave his name on a slab.

In fact, when I look at the unit list and see all the names of my deceased from the previous attempt, his isn't listed there; I've double and triple checked and he's just not there. I tried giving him his own tomb and the all that happens is that the coffin having a current owner of Ablel Illralid, Ghostly Beekeeper. I don't know where he came from and I can't remember if he was around before; he also appears to have no familial relationship with any of the people he's tormenting either. 

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: An ghost that can't be given rest? :x
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:03:59 am »

Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:08:01 am »

'Psalms 40:2' by the Mountain Goats is a pretty cool song.

Please do check the wiki before asking a question.

Please do read the whole post before posting.
:3

Jibba Jabba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:23:30 am »

Ah I actually didn't realize that there was Gameplay discussion forum. After searching there it appears that what I got a was a glitch involving unmemorialized dead dwarves when I abandoned it and I'm currently screwed without modding something in. Thanks.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:24:16 am »

It might be a bug, try going into stocks and unforbidding all bodies--there should be many forbidden if reclaimed.  One might be his and might get buried in the tombs you assign him.

And this is a perfectly fine place to ask this sort of question. People pointing others to the wiki:
'Psalms 40:2' by the Mountain Goats is a pretty cool song.

Please do check the wiki before asking a question.
are being rather unreasonable--the question clearly is aware of memorials.  If you have nothing nice useful to say say nothing at all.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:27:32 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »

For some reason it appears you can only engrave memorials when you have access to the body. I.e. if it's already buried, or is on the map.

And not a ghost yet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:29:20 pm »

You can certainly engrave slabs to existing ghosts, except that reclaims tend to change this.  If the body is gone - as is often the case with bridge hilarity - and you reclaim, then you can't get the body, and you can only memorialize creatures that have died during the fort's life.  Perhaps rightly so, it would be awkward to try and make a memorial to someone you'd never seen before.

Your only recourse is to wait.  Ghosts die of old age (and will grow up into adult ghosts, if applicable).

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »

There must be a way you can weaponize this, scaring enemies to death?
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »

Weaponizing Ghost Science has thus far been inconclusive and unsubstantial, as well as highly unpredictable.  The best that has been recorded is "they don't just haunt the area they died, they'll move freely" and "they seem more inclined to people who have their own bloodstain, though this may be coincidence."

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »

Merchants do not show up in the engraving menu. You need to put them in a coffin.

That's what I meant when I posted the wiki. Possibly a dwarven caravan merchant got left behind.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 08:04:00 pm »

It's something that you have to accept as "character" for your fortress in the current version.

One of my forts has a ghost that can't be settled.  Was a caravan guard who dodged into a magma trap while fighting a goblin siege that arrived at the same time as the annual caravan.  No body to recover, a tomb won't work, and not on the list as a memorial candidate.  He flits about haunting this or that dwarf to give them bad thoughts.  So he is a bit of a fortress mascot.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart