Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: obsidian should be used for gem cutting.  (Read 1949 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: obsidian should be used for gem cutting.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 07:08:49 am »

Uncut gems are one of few exhaustible resources in game. This would fix it.

Glass is unlimited.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 03:57:34 pm »

Glass is unlimited.
true
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 10:26:02 pm »

Glass is unlimited.
did you even read the posts only a few above yours?
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 12:24:23 am »

yes I did read the post above me. I read all the posts. I posted this thread.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:01:30 am »

yes I did read the post above me. I read all the posts. I posted this thread.

I think Cool is refering to Baby's post, in regards to mine, Jax.  Mine was long winded, he didn't read it, most likely.  Or he wouldn't have posted the same conclusion. 

Glass is unlimited. 

Yup.  I just wish obsidian were, a by product of high temperature and rain, like it could be, in a polluted atmosphere.  Wouldn't it be interesting to have rocks and boulders fall from the sky.  The craters would be beautiful.  Topside living would be near impossible.  It sure would be fun to see the goblins mingling outside my water cooler, err gates, in a region with falling obsidian.  *splat*  ew!

Toady could put in some rare space rocks, to do this..  I'd play a few games in that biome, to see what it was like, that is for sure.

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:03:41 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 10:38:38 am »

I'd like to see obsidian be used for spears and arrows/bolts, myself - and flint too! (Why is there no flint?) Obsidian swords have always seemed a bit of a stretch for me, but spear and arrowheads, and perhaps large daggers, make sense to be made of sharp stone. Maybe giant axe blades...
I think elves would be more Fun if they at least had access to stone-age technology, for one. This is kinda drifting off-topic though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:45:49 am by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:22 am »

I'd like to see obsidian be used for spears and arrows/bolts, myself - and flint too! (Why is there no flint?) Obsidian swords have always seemed a bit of a stretch for me, but spear and arrowheads, and perhaps large daggers, make sense to be made of sharp stone. Maybe giant axe blades...
I think elves would be more Fun if they at least had access to stone-age technology, for one. This is kinda drifting off-topic though.

You seen the wiki for obsidian short swords? They have a good rendition of what they hopefully look like :P
Pages: 1 [2]