Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: tips for starting near a volcaneo?  (Read 3456 times)

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tips for starting near a volcaneo?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:50 am »

My most successful fort was a volcano.  With the ability to fuel most everything via magma you are, with only a few needs, completely independent from the outside, and if you really focus can create a metal/military industry of amazing proportions.

Armour up and kill, mah boi.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 05:19:32 am »

One thing I discovered completely by accident was that if you cut into the side of a volcano and drain the magma instead of pumping it, the magma seems to regenerate. My very first fortress experienced !!Fun!! as a result. However, I found another embark site that had a stream right next to the volcano. Infinite, easily accessible obsidian generator anyone?

I usually find Hematite on 90% of the volcanoes that I embark on. Its found in Igneous Extrusive layers, and Volcanos can only appear in Igneous Extrusive layers (unless you screw with the advanced settings). The only bad thing is that you have to import coal in order to get your steel production going. I never really found that a problem either, seeing as I made all of my magma-safe items out of clear glass. (White sand topsoil, stream and a volcano in close proximity = best embark site ever)

Downsides? Using obsidian can boost your fortress wealth, which can attract Fun. Magma flooding is a constant danger, especially if you use pumps to create pressurised Fun. Magma dwelling creatures can sometimes find a way into your fortress, which can create !!Fun!!.
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »

I've got 3 volcanos forts going at the moment, well only 2 now, the 3rd was a volcanic island and I tried obsidianizing the ocean whilst digging in the candy (my first time :) ), so needless to say I didn't get the ocean fully covered. It was !fun!

The other 2 forts are so neat, one has the volcano in a mountain going up about 30z levels in the NW corner above a flat green plain, inside the mountain are multiple wide veins of Hematite, and gold veins in abundance.
The second volcano is on a flat plain with a steep 40z level mountain in the NE corner like a needle sticking out of the ground.  I dug my front entrance into the needle, and now I have a volcanic pond in the front garden. I think the visiting elves will really like it :)

Pages: 1 2 [3]