Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: So why are we an artform again?  (Read 7317 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: So why are we an artform again?
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2011, 06:45:54 pm »

My first reply, was completely aggressive and flamey. Other then that, nah, the retorts have been pretty calm. It just seems like Dakorma face is being smashed in, because he's so hopefully wrong. But hey, almighty 19 years olds have often been known to carry true insight on various subjects. He might very well be a Christopher Paolini. He (Paolini) started to write his novel series, because there were no good fantasy novels. (Fuck LotRs, Harry Potter, So You Want To Be A Wizard, A Wrinkle In Time, Dresden Files, ect ect).

Please tell me you didn't just seriously use Paolini's rubbish as an example of good, original fantasy. Please.

No, it was used as an insult.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: So why are we an artform again?
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2011, 11:53:06 am »

I gotta say, this is rather amusing, considering that I think the last couple of years have been some of the best years for games I've seen in quite a while. As to "gaming is dead because games are derivative"...

I can picture the OP looking at a Rembrandt and saying, "So he painted some people in a picture. REAL original there. What a ripoff artist."
"Oh look, a Degas. He painted some girls dancing. Way to push the envelope."  ::)

I'm 36, and I've had as much fun playing Mount & Blade and Terraria and Osmos and League of Legends and Borderlands as I ever did playing Mail Order Monsters, Silent Service, Airborne Ranger, the Ultima series, and Pool of Radiance. Games are very much alive and kicking. And thanks to the Steam sales, I have both Mass Effect games, Half-Life Episodes 1 and 2, LIMBO, and a few others still ahead of me. I'm jazzed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]