Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Efficiency Studies vs Collective Knowledge for Fortress/Industry Design  (Read 3044 times)

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Efficiency Studies vs Collective Knowledge for Fortress/Industry Design
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 01:40:26 pm »

Without a question you are correct in your second point: I am attempting to use only dyed cloth. I figure a careful early balance, using dye as quickly as possible, making only bags, and keeping up with my agriculture cycles will solve this. I have 15+ farmers workshops, 10+ millstones/querns, 10 looms, and 12 dying stations. The huge number of dwarves mostly work in agriculture and attend to the harvest.

With respect to your first point, I have tons of dwarves. I simply cannot understand why when I read about other people's games one shining difference is that I tend to have migrants in numbers around 20. Getting to 100 dwarves is more or less an hour or two of play time for me. Does the amount of food in the stockpiles control the incoming migrants? That might explain it, since I tend to immediately setup mass plump helmet production.

The current game I'm playing is unusual; my embark spot turned out to be two layers of soil, obsidian and granite all the way down to the magma lakes. I've had to shift my focus completely, as the tetrahedrite and copper nuggets I have do not really sustain a metal industry that can meet the demands outside the fortress.

My current goal is to complete my massive apartments level, where a mixture of copper chests and wooden chests are being used to satisfy demand.

Attached is a photo of my agriculture setup setup.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »

Ok so you have the right number of workshops and sufficient dwarves thrown at them to have !!INDUSTRY!! - I suppose one could argue that your layout could be made more efficient if you arranged the stockpiles and workshops across many z-levels but I can understand the desire to see everything on one z-level for the sake of management clarity. Switch off all hauling labours for the dyers and possibly also the threshers, you want to burn through your dye surplus and get those 500-ish bags made ASAP.

As for migrant numbers, it's dictated by wealth (both total and amount exported). I'm not sure which games you've read, but there are plenty of tales on this forum where people lament how big their migrant wave is (because they just aren't ready to cope with the population surge). But true, there are plenty other tales of small migrant waves because those forts just focussed on survival and nothing else: no trade. In your case, you have a textile !!INDUSTRY!! which happens to be one of the more lucrative wealth generators in the vanilla game.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 06:47:15 pm »

What is going to happen in a few years when the clothes my dwarves are wearing begin becoming total trash? Will they automatically go to the stockpiles, pick something out, and wear it instead? I'm told after X(silly hat)X gets used enough it disappears. Is that correct?

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »

What is going to happen in a few years when the clothes my dwarves are wearing begin becoming total trash? Will they automatically go to the stockpiles, pick something out, and wear it instead? I'm told after X(silly hat)X gets used enough it disappears. Is that correct?

Well, to answer your question directly, your dwarves will go around in XX(silly hat)XX's lowering your FPS dramatically with all their failed attempts at finding a replacement (even if there are suitable replacements available) until the hat collapses into a pile of dust. Then they will be naked. I usually try to get them naked sooner than later.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »

There's a bug at present that prevents dwarves from putting on replacement clothing, even if they acquire them and mark them as personal property (and store them in cabinets in their rooms). A micro-heavy way of getting aroudn this is to draft everyone and define ordinary clothes in uniforms too, but miners, woodcutters and hunters have their own pseudo-uniform so they will forever be naked once their clothes rot away.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

DFHack's cleanowned confiscates clothing and automatically commands all worn items with cleanowned x (or X for xx) and designates it for dumping. After that they will be stockpiled and ignored or chucked wherever your garbage zone is
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 08:48:28 pm »

Thanks all for replying to this thread! I am learning a lot about the game I had no idea about before since I never tried to understand textiles.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 03:13:45 am »

a workaround of the clothes bug is to add [ARMORLEVEL:1] tag to every clothes, and remove all [CLOTHING] and [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] from entity_default.txt. So the clothes will be considered as armor and not picked up by civilians nor got worn out by wrestlers, and civilians will not be unhappy of being naked as dwarf is not a clothing race.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 05:52:40 am »

On the other hand, that would expose them to the perils of extreme cold temperatures and toxic contaminations.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »

On the other hand, that would expose them to the perils of extreme cold temperatures and toxic contaminations.

Not quite as much as my solution, which is to remove all clothing from the game.
Pages: 1 [2]