Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What do you want implemented to make fortress mode more difficult  (Read 6608 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want implemented to make fortress mode more difficult
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 11:40:08 pm »

To encourage corp rotation and make it less easy to mass farm crops so fast. Maybe increase the grow time more.
What gets me is that farms can be so small. "Well, there are 7 of us, so we'll need a farm at least the size of a horse-drawn wagon."
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:42 pm »

To encourage corp rotation and make it less easy to mass farm crops so fast. Maybe increase the grow time more.
What gets me is that farms can be so small. "Well, there are 7 of us, so we'll need a farm at least the size of a horse-drawn wagon."

You ever tried overdoing it? 3x3x3 farm plots for every individual crop I can find. And that's just for starters. Legendary grower work force...
Thousands of crops...
Tasty tasty roasts....

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2011, 12:36:20 am »

3x3x3 farm plots for every individual crop I can find. And that's just for starters.
I haven't done any aboveground crops yet, but below the earth I've currently got 2x5x5 for everything except plump helmets (6x5x5) and dimple cups (1x5x5). And again, that's just for starters--my farming level will eventually be cleared of the miscellaneous stockpiles and workshops currently cluttering its expanse, and will reach its intended scale of 72x5x5. And that's just for the underground crops.

I demand farms that look like they're actually capable of supporting a city.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2011, 12:53:03 am »

Agreed. End goals in my games usually include getting food stocks into the 5 digit mark :P

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2011, 12:54:45 am »

Agreed. End goals in my games usually include getting food stocks into the 5 digit mark :P

Depressingly easy when sentients are butcherable.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2011, 02:37:19 am »

I want a pantheon/cult/religion system. With some sort of room that can be designated a temple that could be dedicated to all or a specific god. With sacrifices being able to be offered for the chance of the god to bestow a boon on the fort. Like spawning some sort of weapon for his faithful to use, or imparting some sort of secret knowledge.  Maybe conferring a happiness bonus to all dwarves in the fort that follow properly respected deities.
Partially implemented in my mod. There are a few limitation with religion modding: 1, There is virtually no difference between blessings and other mundane reactions such as hide tanning. 2, It's impossible to impose religion restrictions. Players can and likely will build whatever temples they want. Thus in my current implementation, miracles are quite expensive, they dont directly do what the player aim to achieve and there's only one such religion. How do you think?

Limiting the months crops can be grown in. To encourage corp rotation and make it less easy to mass farm crops so fast. Maybe increase the grow time more.
I have also tackled this. Give yout thought:

Fixing the metal requirements for weapons and armor so larger pieces require more bars and fuel. Definitely agree with making forges require more labor.
I have achieved this via many means, see if it'd suffice:
 + An appropriate amount of bars are needed to make equipments
 + Mining is eternally dabble, greatly reduced the rate of mining and the rate of ore acquisition to about 25%
 + Steel require sedimentary ore AND igneous extrusive ores. Steel also require some bags to create flux, making it a blend from many industry
 + Cotton now require value 60 gems to purify. It takes forever to get a full set for every dwarves

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2011, 01:02:45 pm »

I have also tackled this. Give yout thought:

I like it! It allows for easy-to-grow plump helmets when you're short on time, but when the dwarves start turning up their noses at the purple fungi you'll have had to been growing some of the trickier stuff or you'd be screwed. Nice!

Also.. is it possible to make more individual dwarves? I don't want them SENTIENT, Armok knows what would happen then, but perhaps they could have their own individual goals and ideas apart from strange moods..

For example, "Urist McMiner cancels store item.. digging secret burial chamber." or "Lorem Carpenter cancels make barrel.. constructing her own personal catapult." 
Playing since 2007
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]