Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stagnant Water in Buckets  (Read 1144 times)

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stagnant Water in Buckets
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »

I was rather surprised to find a number of buckets in my food stockpiles a few minutes ago, with nothing but stagnant water in them. I have never asked my dwarves to pail water, and certainly don't know how to get rid of it.

Why does this happen?
How can I lose the water?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Stagnant Water in Buckets
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:51:19 pm »

Get the latest DFhack. Theres a little thing to run which deletes stagnant water from buckets.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »

Periodically a dwarf working on a difficult task will work long enough to become thirsty.  This will sometimes trigger another dwarf to grab a bucket and bring it to the thirsty dwarf, possibly as an unintended side effect of the bringing water to injured dwarf job.  The bucket holds up to 10 units of water, but only one will be consumed, so the still mostly full bucket gets left on the ground.  Eventually, the water may turn stagnant.  Annoyingly, your dwarves will never empty these buckets on their own, so they become unusable.

You can manually empty the buckets by forbidding the water (but not the bucket itself), then when a caravan arrives select the bucket to be brought to the trade depot.  Your dwarves will dump the forbidden water on the ground, then bring the now-empty bucket to the trade depot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:54 pm »

Is this an accidental feature or intended? It makes sense to find buckets of stagnant water, but if there is no way to collect it I would say that's the bug, not the stranded buckets.

Also, I've noticed that water doesn't freeze if it's in a bucket. If there is a way to reclaim the water, this might be a good anti-ice technique
Playing since 2007

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:21:51 pm »

Is this an accidental feature or intended? It makes sense to find buckets of stagnant water, but if there is no way to collect it I would say that's the bug, not the stranded buckets.

Also, I've noticed that water doesn't freeze if it's in a bucket. If there is a way to reclaim the water, this might be a good anti-ice technique

If there was a way to stop the water from stagnating.

Or just immediately dump it in a pond.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:50 pm »

The bug is that dwarves won't empty buckets unless you do some annoying micromanagement.  They should have enough wits to dump out stagnant water and return the bucket to the stockpile without you having to trick them into it with the depot trick.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »

Main report for this is Bug #4230.