Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would like a recommendation for a new MUD/MOO to play...  (Read 4073 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would like a recommendation for a new MUD/MOO to play...
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 01:32:18 pm »

And the OP wanted modern/sci-fi anyways. :P

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 01:39:55 pm »

CoreMUD -  Had a lot of fun with it, mining and goofing around.
               This game should have been a lot more popular than what it is/was - I think admins had a big part with killing it

I used to love this one. Back in the day when I still played muds  :P

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »

That Medievia MUD sounds really awesome...it looks like it has a lot of features. How is the world itself in Medievia? Because I see Discworld looks to have a really awesome custom world.

Generally, the problem I have with MUDs...I get lost...really easy...always. Not to say that is a bad thing, as I love exploring, but it is always hard to find things in MUDs. I take 10 steps away from a city and don't know how to get back! Sad I know :P

I love MUDs as well, though...despite having a hard time getting around.

Is there a reason Medievia isn't more popular than it is? Because it sure has a lot of unique features. I look at various top mud sites, and it seems Discworld gets most of the votes. Is there a reason for that? Just trying to decide which to play, with my limited time I have over Winter.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »

It's probably the environment, Discworld Mud is the most detailed Mud out there in terms of world, it's massive, and has an extremely expansive system, and a large playerbase.

It's rather heavy on the grind though, and I personally found it rather boring in terms of combat and such, but it's a lot of fun to explore.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 05:35:35 pm »

I have no idea what the state of the game is today, but I played Cybersphere in the late 90's. I know they get a bad rap here because they seem to randomly spam our forum, but it is overall a decent game. Highlights include Vehicles, hacking, and perma death.

cs.vv.com

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 08:41:15 pm »

Hmm, not big into grinds personally and that would be a big negative (for me)...especially if it is a really horrible grind. I like having a variety of things to do. Discworld does sound like it has an awesome custom world, though. And that is a big thing for me in MUDs. Medievia sounds fun in terms of all the stuff it has, but supposedly a lot of the rooms are copy/paste...but the ascii map it has looks nice. I also like it has its own sound system in place...that is really cool.

Hmm, I'll keep looking for different MUDs and see if anything fits for me. Unless someone posts one that I like, before I find it :) Or I may just end up giving Medievia a shot when I get a chance this weekend.

One that sounds really good, but I don't know if it is still being worked on is Primordiax. The forums seem quite dead and the last news was back in February.

(edit)

I see another game that is very similar, at first look at the features, to Medievia. And, that is Materia Magica...are they both made by (some) of the same people or something?

And here is a link to Primordiax, it is in open beta, but as far as I'm aware, nothing has changed since February: http://www.primordiax.com/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:16:09 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 12:45:08 am »

Everyone,
Thanks for the responses.
You know, it makes me pretty sad that SA "invaded" Armageddon - Metagaming in a game like that really destroys everything. I played that one a little while, but I really didn't like getting killed within 2 hours of character creation. Took 3 days for approval, and dying was really quick.

I think I'll give Discworld a try. Avoided it for years but really would like to see what a very developed MUD is like. The only one comparable I've played is Achaea for a while but the player base was really a bunch of people who didn't know how to have fun. 

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 05:22:44 pm »

If it makes you feel better most of the SA goons left Hellmoo to start their own server (HATEmoo), unfortunatly they took all the programmers with them so Hellmoo doesn't see many improvements anymore.

Haven't played either in like 6 months so cant comment any further on the state of either game.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 11:30:36 pm »

I've been playing that Discworld MUD today...I like it quite a lot. Thanks for sharing that one guys :) The world really pulls you in (at least it does me)...very well done MUD in my opinion.

My character is a Witch, since they sounded really interesting. "His"...err...her...name is Vendayn.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 07:01:08 pm »

Glad to see that you like it. Maybe one of these days I'll get back on the disc.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 04:53:14 am »

I've been playing Discworld since 2004, so if you see Rhodan(wizard) or Cairon(warrior centaur) online you can bother me with any questions you may have.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 02:21:37 am »

Personally, I prefer Mushing. I'm not so big into the grinds/leveling aspect of RPG's, but I am into the plot.

Unfortunately, few people have the attention span or time for Mushing these days, so as a form of entertainment, it is dying. :(
Pages: 1 [2]