Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking of re-downloading, couple questions  (Read 768 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thinking of re-downloading, couple questions
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:38:41 am »

Ghosts -- made me quit my last couple forts. Insanely, unfathomably annoying. I got ghosts of people who never existed alive, and could not be put to rest, and ghosts of dwarfs who died in ways that made it either very difficult or impossible to put their bodies to rest, and my game would stagger and slug to a halt from the ghosts. Is there any way to turn them off yet?

And how much more complicated has the game become in the last year?

Lastly -- my best fort i ever had succumbed to a pandemic of forgotten beast sludge that was impossible to eradicate because it grew and spread at an exponential rate, attaching itself to every side of every object and orifice of everything everywhere, and it would spontaneously melt the skin of my dwarfs (often they would step on it, and seconds later the bottom of their foot would be destroyed and they'd bleed out in seconds). Despite my best efforts i could never clean the fort of blood, ooze, puke, and all the other lovely fluids coming from anything that breathed; it always ended up reappearing somewhere, in large piles.

Basically to sum up this last question - how much does unwanted fluid spread now and how hard is it to clean?
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of re-downloading, couple questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:43:06 am »

Well for the ghosts you can make slabs, then tell your craftsdwarf workshops to engrave the slabs as memorials to each dwarf of which one of you troublesome ghosts is named, then plonk the slabs anywhere. Bob's your uncle, one sleepy spirit! Rinse and repeat as necessary for each ghost.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:52:01 am »

Are you playing the most recent version? Because I know in the current version you can turn off liquids be tracked through the fort by animals and stuff. For the liquids if you want to get rid of them build something ontop of the floor tile and it'll clean the tile of filth.

If you are playing an older version it's probably better to keep upgraded.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:29:16 am »

Ghost lag has been fixed, although I recommend trying your very best to get all those god damn merchants and their guards buried. I think they were the main culprit in the past when it came to ghosts, hanging around and being a pain in the ass because you couldn't make a memorial slab for 'em.

Also, check out DFhack and cleanmap tool. Cleans all stains from the entire map in one go, although like said, fluids don't get smeared all over fucking everywhere like in early DF2010 thanks to init settings.

I also think that cleaning got it's priorities fixed a bit, but it's still wonky. Like I have an entrance tunnel in the soil that got it's moss floor and sand walls stained with kobold blood during an ambush, and it never got cleaned. Meanwhile, killing a FB in the caverns and it's blood being smeared all over gets cleaned up quite often. Which can be a pain if you don't have a fort that's located in the caverns and lacks walls to keep wildlife at bay. Like when your god damn legendary weaponsmith goes clean some crundle blood that's right next to a cave dragon, or something.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:48:44 am »

Bryan Derksen actually managed to reclaim Battlefailed, a fortress with so much evil sludge that dwarves' clothes were so completely covered by it that a simple punch would fatally infect and poison even Forgotten Beasts

If Battlefailed could be made clean, anything is possible.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »

I remember using the DF clean map thingy before and i had to do it a dozen times because things kept reappearing, but if theres a way to stop trailing it, i bet i could enjoy it a lot more.

I read some guy made a fort with a cap of 0 (which i thought meant there was no cap?) and all the dwarfs there were descendants of the original 7, i really liked that notion, mostly because im sick of tending to hundreds of worthless Novice Soap Makers and Cheese Makers.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:38:40 pm »

Yeah, you can do that even if you have a dwarf civ that's still alive, although you will get 2 migrant waves no matter what, I recall. Or maybe it was that only with dead dwarf civs you don't get any migrant waves?

Anyway, with a pop cap edit you can easily have a small fort and take your time to expand. Although you need to get your dorfs paired up. Assuming they have compatible personalities.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 04:09:01 pm »

all the dwarfs there were descendants of the original 7, i really liked that notion, mostly because im sick of tending to hundreds of worthless Novice Soap Makers and Cheese Makers.
At least you can make them do something else. Children are useless for 12 years and you end up with dwarven conga lines.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.