Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Venting the magma sea into the circus  (Read 985 times)

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Venting the magma sea into the circus
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

I haven't done it and i don't know if there is another thread like this, but I'll just go ahead and start another one now. Also i play on a netbook so my frame rate wouldn't handle it. Has anyone tried?
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Venting the magma sea into the circus
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:32:57 pm »

"Clowns" can swim in magma and it kills your FPS with little hope of stopping it for recovery and the magma sea will probably take several in-game years to refill.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:34:15 pm »

What exactly would the purpose of this endeavor be? The magma sea infinitely spawns magma, and clowns aren't bothered by magma.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »

I would imagine for a first strike on an assault. I was actually thinking of breaching the circus with fortifications myself, and pumping it full of magma before sending warriors down. Was going to ask if they were magma proof, first, so this saved me the trouble:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:38:28 pm »

Okeydokey, just checking, maybe a supercomputer would pull it off. is the circus just a bottomless pit?
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:42:25 pm »

more like a giant cavern, I believe. Just full of infinitely spawning evil clowns... That last part was a bit redundant, wasn't it? :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:52:04 pm »

1. Vent magma sea into Circus
2. Add water.
3. ? ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!

(Assuming quantum supercomputer, that is.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:08:51 pm »

The circus is like a cavern in that the map edges are open, so liquids can just flow right off through them. The eerie glowing pits at the bottom of the circus also act like the bottomless pits (and the eerie glowing pits, incidentally) in 40d and before; anything that falls into them is lost forever. Flooding the circus is thus somewhat difficult, though doable if you wall off all the edges and floor over all the pits. If you can accomplish that, though, there's not really much point.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:10:59 pm »

I would imagine for a first strike on an assault. I was actually thinking of breaching the circus with fortifications myself, and pumping it full of magma before sending warriors down. Was going to ask if they were magma proof, first, so this saved me the trouble:p

Clowns aren't magma proof, in fact, they're so vulnerable that most players consider magma too exploity against magma :/
Lolj/k they're immune and'll probably swim through the fortifications through the magma.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:15:32 am »

See this thread.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94140.0

Learn and study it, and the clown car will crumble before you.

(you're on your own from then on though...)
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.