Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snatcher problem  (Read 869 times)

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Snatcher problem
« on: December 19, 2011, 01:55:54 pm »

snatcher! protect the children! <--- that message is appearing for the fifth time!
I alerted my military dwarfes but they don't care. and the best of all: the snatcher is in my fortress!
do i have to give a specific order to kill him? thanks.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snatcher problem
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:07:06 pm »

theres three ways to deal with this. the easiest way, is to simply have some traps at the entrance, and keep all children inside the burrow.

after that, chaining guard animals at various points can help. the snatcher will usually run away when discovered, and an animal can find them. this is a good use of kittens.

soldier is option 3. press S, then A (or whichever letter for the squad you want), then press K, and then select the goblin you want dead. the squad will go from civilian to military, and often go first to the location of the enemy when you sent them to kill him, after that running after him (its a pathfinding thing). if you dont use the kill command, then yes your soldiers will ignore it, as they are off-duty or training.

if you have snatchers, then you may get a goblin ambush. such ambushes may contain multiple squads. your soldiers are best used against the ambush squads of military goblins, usually if they start chasing some dwarf around the map far from your traps.

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:15:18 pm »

Thanks, captain!
My squad has turned him into... let's dont talk about that  :D

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »

Basic weapon traps are generally enough to keep kidnappers out. I wouldn't use stonefall traps though since all they're good for is slowing things down. Throw a few wooden spikes in a couple of weapon traps and that should be enough.

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:18 pm »

Things are getting serious now... my population has grown up to 61 dwarfs and
now i are frequently getting thiefes. the last thing that happened is getting a master thief!!
and the biggest problem: one snatcher has injured 2 of my recruits and killed one...

can i expect a goblin army?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:18 pm »

Things are getting serious now... my population has grown up to 61 dwarfs and
now i are frequently getting thiefes. the last thing that happened is getting a master thief!!
and the biggest problem: one snatcher has injured 2 of my recruits and killed one...

can i expect a goblin army?

You can expect a squad of 6 goblins ("An ambush!  Curse them!"), and a few months later 2 squads, then 3, etc.
Once your population/wealth is high enough, the goblin army will lay a very obvious (not stealthed) siege to your fort (starting at about 20 goblins). The more sieges you survive, the more goblins are sent.

Crozarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:39:36 pm »

I've never gotten past the first ambush because of Jedi Goblins, my last 3 fortresses fell to the first ambush being comprised completely of lashers. :(

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »

Too late  :(
They took down my whole army, only five soldiers left, entry is closed with a door, entry is secured with one menacing spike trap only...

*edit*
"your strenght has been broken"... If i'd catch such a goblin I'd cut his spine open, peel out his nerves while he is alive and then
i would put his nerves in magma so they die of pain!!

Well, i hope everyone who plays this game has seen the defeat message once. Learn by loosing...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:51:22 pm by zebri »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 03:54:10 pm »

Thanks, captain!
My squad has turned him into... let's dont talk about that  :D

in view of later posts, some from you, dont worry, you wont write anything that hasnt been seen yet on this forum, including ways to send your own citizens to burning screaming agonizing impaling anguishing crushing splashing hell
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:02:42 pm »

Pastures of war animals are even better than chains since animals in a pasture will run the thief down.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:38:56 pm »

In my ol' !!Philosophy!! thread I used babies to catch Gobby snatcher "volunteers."

I caught 6, not one baby caught or killed :P

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 04:01:04 am »

yeah, i killed one of them. i was talking about
the ones following. My army was defeated outside, the snatcher that had to die
was locked into my fortress where he was killed.