Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitting help. What am I doing wrong?  (Read 427 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pitting help. What am I doing wrong?
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:13 pm »

Ok so I have a deep pit dug with an animal stockpile aropund, directly adjacent to it. I have a floor hatch on top, and a floor hatch part way down so that the dwarves dont see whats down there and get scared, but whenever I try to pit a Trogolodyte, no matter what I do, it always gets free and tries to kill everyone. What am I doing wrong?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Pitting help. What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:36:31 pm »

Nothing. Wild animals (perhaps the only sentient ones, like badger men, ect.?) usually escape when the cages are moved. Only pit the animals that are right next to it, and it should work. I also recommend putting a cage trap or two around the area in case of mishaps.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pitting help. What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:40:06 pm »

first, test your pit with a kitten to make sure pathing is working correctly and the animal can go in the pit. if this fails, then you may have a problem with how the zone was set up.

secondly, there is always a risk of a hostile or wild creature breaking free of the dwarf trying to pit it. the bigger and meaner the critter, the higher the chance.

a safer way to get a hostile creature into a pit, is to build the cage next to a retractable bridge, hook the cage to a mechanism, lock the rooms door, unlock the cage, wait for it to walk onto the bridge, then retract the bridge. repeat as needed. slow, but safe.