Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More bright rock  (Read 1001 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
More bright rock
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:43:38 am »

My vision is going from Cogentin poisoning in a Canadian hospital (it's a side-effect medication, a really funny name for a drug with terminal side-effects) and I appreciate the ability to build high-visibility constructions using microcline, orthoclase, etc. I also think pitchblende is pretty, making purple buildings

The problem for me is that bright colours "bloom", especially blues, so that I have to get up close to read some things through the fuzz, especially dark things near bright things. I just run DF with the largest font at 640x480 fullscreen (in Linux) and this is relatively close to 80x25 which would be ideal but the ncurses engine seems borked, at least at console it messes up the screen badly for me.

I don't wear glasses or anything and I don't think glasses could correct the blooming I experience which is probably organic damage. I had 20/20 vision before I got Cogentin in a hospital so don't let them give you that.

How about some colour 12 (bright red) rock or colour 13 (magenta)? Is soap 15 (white) or 7 (grey)? Toady One used BASIC so he knows these colour assignments well. I'm going to make some structures from soap and see if it gleams, to me

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

-- plif.com
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: More bright rock
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:13:19 am »

Totally offtopic, but it seriously takes some strange sort of dedication to register on a forum near the end of 2011 and have your signature be a quote from a (very good) comic that ended in 2002.

As for color issues, you can mod stuff to have what colors you like.  Someone more skilled at that than I can give detailed instructions.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:54:52 am »

How about some colour 12 (bright red) rock or colour 13 (magenta)? Is soap 15 (white) or 7 (grey)? Toady One used BASIC so he knows these colour assignments well. I'm going to make some structures from soap and see if it gleams, to me
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

I've never made anything out of soap bars, will they withstand the rain?  One of these times I'm gonna try an embark in colder area, and try to build an igloo.

Lost my mason in current fort to thirst.  There was tons of ice about, it didn't seem realistic to me.  Hope something is done about that odd feature/bug.  As far as I know, a dwarf with an axe, can melt ice with his body heat alone and drink it to survive, if he has a barrel lying around somewhere and a little gumption.

Good luck with your color scheming.  I was lost with the part of your post about medicines and TV, I musta missed sumpin.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:02 pm »

I modified the color scheme to get around my slight colorblindness. I have issues telling shades apart, and the stock color scheme made figuring out who had a room assigned and who didn't completely impossible.

Check the wiki for some premade color schemes, or dive in yourself by editing \data\init\colors.txt

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:26:23 pm »

Ooops.  Strange can't delete posts here.  Hmppf.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:37:54 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:38:29 pm »

I modified the color scheme to get around my slight colorblindness. I have issues telling shades apart, and the stock color scheme made figuring out who had a room assigned and who didn't completely impossible.

Check the wiki for some premade color schemes, or dive in yourself by editing \data\init\colors.txt

I couldn't find any standalone color schemes on the wiki, but graphics packs usually include a custom color scheme (i.e. a replacement version of data/init/colors.txt).  Many of them are dimmer and less saturated than the default colors.  But yeah, one way or another, colors.txt will be your friend.

V V V oh nice
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:52:39 pm by Footkerchief »

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:41:07 pm »

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 01:02:29 pm »

Thanks all.
Oh, someone finally died of thirst