Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everquest II: Good?  (Read 956 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Everquest II: Good?
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:04:36 pm »

So I just saw on Steam that EverQuest II is free, and I'm thinking of downloading it. Worth it?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everquest II: Good?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:27 pm »

I've heard nothing but negative things about it from actual IRL friends, but I haven't played it myself. Who knows, might be good.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »

A lot of my old time EQ buddies found it ok as a casual MMO. Granted, it probably gets a lot of that good will by being set in the same world, using a lot of the same lore....but I gather it's actually gone a decent way towards being an ok game, and not just Sony dry humping the franchise.

Just remember, by MMOs standards, that game is ancient. So it may not have aged well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »

I remember it as pretty cool the few times I've played it, furthest I got was mid-20's before it lost my attention, which is good by my standards. Of course, part of it was fueled by my interest in the lore of Norrath as a long-time everquest fan, so that might have played a role. I definitely found it more fun the later times I tried playing it than the earlier times, so I'd assume it improved significantly but my memory isn't that great. It's definitely not Everquest I, though.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:21:29 pm »

I enjoyed the crafting system. It is (or was, when I played it years ago) a mini-game that rewards you for actually being at the keyboard, giving you better quality items for getting the reactions correct. The gathering was irritating, though (like WoW, though all of that may have changed).

It has housing, which I actually liked. Not SWG or anything, but very good.

I thought it was an alright game. I managed to get into the 30s with it, which is pretty good for me. Wife and I rolled some characters on an RP server, which was pretty fun. We were in a cult of some kind, lots of over-the-top rituals and hilarity.

Now, this was years ago. Long before it went free to play, long before the first expansion even came out. So I imagine much has changed. Now that it's free, I might be tempted to play again in a few weeks/months ... after I finally play (and eventually tire of) SWTOR. Free is a good price.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:58:23 pm »

I haven't played EQII since about a year after it came out.  During that time, I wasn't extremely impressed, but I was a diehard from the original and the differences were what put me off.

There were things that were done better and things that were done worse.  Soloing is much easier than in EQI, which was something I liked.  The graphics are still pretty good, even compared to modern MMOs.  The crafting system is pretty fun, but I never really liked to get into crafting in anything anyway.

In the end, I found grouping to be unrewarding (I really didn't like the way group combos worked, but that has all but certainly changed by now) and things started to slow down once I got to level 25 or so.  I already started feeling like I was grinding away to nowhere like in EQI, so I quit.

Almost everything has surely changed since I last played it.  I would sum up my experience as the game being pretty good, but doesn't have anything that wowwed me.  I ended up going back to EQI, where I still am today.

I did quite like the background and story.  I liked how it links up to EQI as an alternate history where the gods don't just sit on their hands after you invade their realm and start killing them.  I also quite liked what they did with Rodcet Nife and Anashti Sul, since I was a paladin of Rodcet Nife in EQI.

The story is an afterthought in the game though.  It's worth giving it a try, it's certainly not a bad game.  A word of warning on the free to play game though: the game is free, but you don't get any support for it.  Furthermore, most content is locked behind not free content packs.  Many classes and species are bought, for example.  Paying the monthly fee is probably going to be a better deal in the short term if you want to give it a shot with all of the content, in case you don't like it.  There's no transferring characters between the two if you ever want to though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:31:54 am »

I loved the game when it originally came out, but no one i knew played it so i dropped it for WoW.

Ive re-joined the f2p and im loving it, I may even upgrade to gold after xmas as there seems to be a whole load of new content etc.

Its the only mmo that feels engaging and not just a lvling time-sink, also my missis seems to be enjoying her Templar too so thats a bonus!

**  :'(really want the ranger class :'( ** but im a guardian for now as I like BIG sheilds.
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:45:39 am »

I really enjoyed EQ2 when it first came out, but they really half-assed the expansions. Absolutely no new game mechanics, just new environments and more levels of the same old button-mashing that passed for a decent MMO years ago when EQ2 first released.

The free-to-play mode is overly restrictive, not allowing you to equip half of the armor in the game. Don't waste your time.

EDIT: I may have initially been overly critical. The expansions do have lots of diverse and detailed environments, which are fun to explore. And the lore is decent, with both large story arcs that gradually unravel, as well as smaller story arcs whose details you can discover from in-game books. And the house-decorating aspects allow for some creativity, if you're into that. A lot of effort has gone into making this game...I just feel like more attention should have been paid to the actual combat.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:15:20 pm by Folly »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:07:05 pm »

I absolutely loved this game. It was my first MMORPG ever and I was hooked for years. It has undergone a LOT of changes though.. crafting used to be a very unique experience, but now it's slightly dumbed down compared to what it used to be. Alright, "simplified". The team play is fantastic and dungeons are really fun. Soloing is also very fun, and not impossible, though if I remember correctly leveling is a bit difficult unless you put yourself out there and join up with strangers. I'm not really up to date on the expansions, they seem to have started spewing them out as quickly as possible.. however the ones that I played were fun. Playing this with a group of friends is amazing when you get to some of the more challenging dungeons.

I can't believe this is free now? I have to check this out.

Jafferey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »

It's a MMORPG so it's automatically dodgy.

zekiel321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:10:14 am »

It's an alright game. Nothing that special about it, but if you're bored and have nothing better to play, this can be a fun game. As with most MMORPG games.