Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Siege/ Multiplayer Dungeon Crawlers: HALP  (Read 1025 times)

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Siege/ Multiplayer Dungeon Crawlers: HALP
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:07:15 pm »

My friends and I are looking for a multiplayer dungeon crawler (after getting sick of Diablo II), and so I came across Dungeon Siege. It looks good, but to anyone who has it, would the multiplayer be fun with four people?

If it wouldn't, could someone recommend some other games? I haven't had much luck finding any.
*insert witty signature here*

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
I got nothing

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Siege/ Multiplayer Dungeon Crawlers: HALP
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:16:07 pm »

I liked the first dungeon siege and it was fun but has aged poorly. Didn't really like the second one.
Modded d2 with Eastern sun or Median?

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »

1st Dungeon Siege is the first game I ever played so I may be biased in saying it's amazing.
2nd is still pretty good but not quite as good as the first
3rd is horrible, don't buy it

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:39:26 pm »

Dungeon siege 1 suffered from GROSSLY over-scaled world maps. The cool-factor of actually walking fully overland from settlement to settlement with varied continues terrain in between wears off after 10 minutes of "forest, forest, wolves, forest, snowy forest."

I liked 2 but someone's going to get shoehorned into being the dedicated healer if you want to be efficient, and that's kind of a drag if you draw the short straw. Was also laggy as hell on a LAN and I've had performance issues on Win7 with it. Still my favorite, though.

Haven't played 3.

+1 recommend to playing D2 with Eastern Sun mod... since it actually balances/fixes the damn game and adds a useful item metagame with reasonably attainable goals.

There's also Titan Quest if you're heavily into character building. Basically there's 8(? 10? I forget...) or so skill trees, and you can pick 2. Your class is determined by which 2 you pick, as is about half of your stat progression. Most trees offer some form of ranged/melee options, including "magic" trees. There were something like 50 commonly used workable builds last time I checked.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:03:06 pm »

Definitely suggest Path of Exile if you and your friends have halfway decent machines that can handle the shadows in the game. Also if you don't mind probably having to spend money to get into the beta.

Other than that if you are a fan of older dungeon crawlers like eye of the beholder and the like, give Demise: Ascension a shot Bay12 thread on Demise:Rise of the Ku'tan Demise: Ascension on Gamersgate It's a pretty awesome old school dungeon crawler me and a few friends have been playing lately, has a great multiplayer setup and a positively giant dungeon world. When we used to play the base game (Demise: Ascension is an stand-alone expansion to Rise of the Ku'tan) I had barely seen below the fifth floor in the dungeon and had spent a good 20-30 hours playing it and having fun. Part of that is due to being new to the game though.

Edit: Whatever you do don't check out Dungeon Siege 3 unless you want some kind of bastard amalgamation of final fantasy and diablo. I got the game simply because it came free with a video card and it is just... ugh. I don't want to call it terrible, but it's not Dungeon Siege.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 04:10:01 pm »

I'm going to second Titan Quest.  Similar to Diablo but with Greek/Egyptian/Chinese mythology, a huge number of builds (Each class has three skill trees, and since you have two classes), and all the gear-pinata fun of Diablo.  The character variety can actually be a bit overwhelming.  I remember at least once when I first started playing I actually didn't pick a secondary class because I felt like there were too many options.
Shoes...