Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Little Tips on What To do now needed please... Somewhat noob needing help  (Read 419 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Ok, I just found adamantine and have a magma forge/smelter, I have 17 dwarves, wealth is unknown atm... 100? units of drink, roughly 6- 20? units of assorted food, i have 2 miners, 2 woodworker, 1 stoneworker, 1 ranger, 1 metalsmith, 2 craftsdwarves, 1 peasant (hes got assorted dodger, striker, etc. skills, currently hauling stuff), 2 children, 5 farmers and 15 assroted animals. I also have a rough barracks (3 beds, 2 racks, a stockpile for ammo/weapons), a small dining room, nobles quarters (not very noble atm), LOTS of bedrooms (enough for next migration wave as long as it doenst surpass 20), training stuff, some random glass, a ton of gems (i could swim in them), alot of crafts, and alot of wood ( intened to burn it, but found magma when building extra floors down for additions (guess i went too far?), i got more then enough ores for whatever the hell I want (silver, gold, hemetite, limonite, tetrahedrite, etc.) and i got enough doors/beds for bedrooms, just theres so much work with so little dwarves
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Little Tips on What To do now needed please... Somewhat noob needing help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »

I would say that the next step would be to set up some food so that your dwarves don't starve from the food that will run out in like a month. After that you should get some military/defense set up so the first goblin sieges don't wipe you out. Alternatively you could mine out lots of adamantine and just equip your one peasant with enough armor in order to make him invulnerable and deal with sieges that way, but I still suggest that you have a small army to deal with attacks.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:35:09 pm »

Dig out the adamantine and make edged weapons. I don't see 'weaponsmith' on that list anywhere so the weapons will be low quality, but adamantine is so sharp that it doesn't really matter. You should also get another military dwarf and get them training with your skilled dwarf -- he won't improve significantly on his own. Pick one with good stats, preferably with fast healing and good disease resistance.

You don't need bedrooms for everyone. A communal dorm will do fine if you don't have enough beds, and if you do have enough beds you can plonk them down wherever and make them bedrooms and they'll get claimed just like the normal sort with doors and things. 6-20 units of food isn't that much, especially if you're expecting more dwarves. Slaughter some of the animals.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:10:26 am »

If you're going to dig that adamantine, be careful. You might... get attacked over it.

I personally suggest you try to get a good-sized army trained and kitted out in steel before trying anything risky in the depths.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:48:39 am »

The thready bits on the edges are safe to dig out. If they're placed so that they're sitting in magma, a bucketful of water poured from two levels or more above the magma itself is sufficient to obsidianise the tile and make more of those safe adamantine tiles available.

All else being equal, axes are the best weapons to make from adamantine. Since you're so early in the game, serrated discs in traps might be an option. No point in having a nice axe if you can't keep yourself alive long enough to use it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:49:21 am »

You dont need five farmers.  Two is more than enough, provided you are running your plots correctly.  Look for the farming threads for more info.