Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to make obsidian walls black?  (Read 680 times)

Black13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is it possible to make obsidian walls black?
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:59 pm »

Hey everyone,

So I had a plan to make an awesome above ground tower with black obsidian walls.. only to find out that obsidian walls are gray in the game (oops).  So does anyone know of a way to edit the color of obsidian so that it actually displays as black in game?  I've never messed with the raws before so I wasn't sure if this was even possible.  Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make obsidian walls black?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »

The init file has a section for colors.  You can change the dark grey to "000000" and have solid black without rummaging in the inorganic stone raw.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:04:05 pm »

If you feel up to modding, you can open the file inorganic_stone_layer.txt, find the line that says
[INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN], and then below that find the line that says:

[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:obsidian][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:177][LAVA]

Change it to read:

[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:obsidian][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:0][TILE:177][LAVA]

That will make obsidian black color on black background.

You will need to edit this file in the active region folder for your save to change it in an existing game.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »

Bear in mind, this'll make a black space occur ANYWHERE that ANYTHING obsidian is.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:47:25 pm »

Wouldn't using [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:obsidian][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1][TILE:177][LAVA] be better, as you would still have the "normal" background color?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"