Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Release Suggestion: Other Bone Products  (Read 1324 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Release Suggestion: Other Bone Products
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:33:20 pm »

So, according to the dev logs, animals in worldgen who get slaughtered seem to get all of their bones turned into vast swathes of crafts.

Since this is likely to make bone crafts something approaching worthless, I figured I'd make the suggestion of having them convert a significant percentage of bones into other bone based materials like (terribad) armor, ammunition, and for civilizations that do that sort of thing (None yet I think), bone meal. That way human cities aren't just completely flooding the market with pig bone bracelets or something like that.

Edit: On further inspection, he was talking about item distribution, so maybe this post is actually pointless.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Release Suggestion: Other Bone Products
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:51:23 pm »

this post is actually pointless.

Don't worry bout that.  Your not the last to make a pointless post or the first.  Its fun having company.   :D  I don't mind bone going into crafts, not sure what vast swathes are tho.  If they are golems, made of bone, I'm all for them.  I would think some civilizations would find it awful heathen of us to trade in butchered body parts.  Much like elves dislike the tree trade.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:07:58 pm »

and for civilizations that do that sort of thing (None yet I think), bone meal.
While Dwarf Fortress has so far only used bonemeal as a shocking decoration in monster lairs, it isn't taboo in real life.  The shock value only comes if it is made from the bones of sentient organisms.

It's a useful component of fertilizer -- so I'd imagine most surplus bone should be ground up and spread on the fields.

Also, at one time it was fed to animals, even people, as a mineral supplement, but they had to stop that because of the risk of spreading prion diseases.

Zoomulator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:47:23 am »

I'd love having bone cages!
Although it is moddable I guess...

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:54:12 pm »

since humans do most of the farming and hunting in world gen i think they should be able to make bonemeal and use it as fertilizer, or feed for all the animals that will be loitering around towns.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Vince7403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 07:40:43 pm »

Bonemeal fertilizer is the most reasonable solution, and is still practiced widely. You can mix crushed bones in animal feed, but it's no longer done in most places today because it's known to spread mad cow and the equivalent diseases of other domesticated beasts. You can also use it for calcium/phosphorus nutrition supplementation of people, but it's not recommended for the same reason. Still, it's something that was practiced in the bad old days, so it wouldn't be unreasonable.

What all this means is that instead of bones being assigned as a craft material after butchering, they would have to first go into some routine that perhaps checks the demand for bone crafts vs bone meal (for fertilizer or food). Then the butcher would do one of these things: a) if bonemeal demand is higher than bone crafts demand, and the butcher has bone-grinding tools, grind bones and sell bonemeal, b) if bonemeal demand is higher but butcher does not have bone-grinding tools, sell bones to someone who does, c) sell bones to bone-crafters, d) have tantrum due to monotonous butchering, take bones and club people with them

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »

What was bone used for IRL, aside from fertilizer and crafts?
Uh...Actually, I don't know. But in DF, it seems that bones could be bought by the wagonload by necromancers and various types of cults to create skeletons or fuel magical rituals or something, and normal people might buy them for the cheap crafting material. In addition to the RL uses.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:29:57 am »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:17:23 pm »

Hm, add some bone weapons and maybe new tools...and I remember reading that at certain settlements including the Norse Greenland settlements, starving people broke open bones to ingest (is it eat or drink?) the marrow because they were starving and needed something to eat, so maybe bones could be a very-last-ditch starvation food source?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 03:04:34 am »

Hm, add some bone weapons and maybe new tools...and I remember reading that at certain settlements including the Norse Greenland settlements, starving people broke open bones to ingest (is it eat or drink?) the marrow because they were starving and needed something to eat, so maybe bones could be a very-last-ditch starvation food source?
Probably would have to be relatively fresh bones... Which would mean keeping track of the age of stuff.

Actually, that could tie in to brewing/cheese making  becoming more complicated if they ever do so...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 10:01:44 pm »

If I'm starving and all I had to eat were some bones, I'd eat the marrow, then the bones if needed. (Of course, the bones would probably be from my pet dog, who would have been previously eaten, so they wouldn't be that ol...I'm stopping that train of thought about a sentence too late.)
Sig

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »

Bone uses in fantasy... are what I know  I dunno about RL uses.

In one fantasy book, there was a cannibalistic group that inducted its young recruits into the army by eating a mysterious meat.  This meat was as it turns out, slain trespassers on the groups turf. 

Well to make a long story short, when a warrior-father died his forearms were removed, elbow to wrist, and given to the eldest son.  A prize, or heirloom, of the mans accomplishments.  Tradition had it, the boy honed down the fathers forearm, to a piercing rapier dagger point.  And then spring loaded it under his own forearm, in a wristband sorta contraption.  It was a last strike weapon.  Legend had it, if the father's acts in life were noble, that hidden rapier would protect the son from certain death if captured or ambushed. 

Very interesting idea, I thought.  It was from the Seeker, trilogy of books, I believe.  Terry Goodkind, I believe. 

Incidently, grout is my favorite use of bone.  Any above ground structure, should require mortar.  Grout is a mortar made from bone, I think, like in the movie 300.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 03:04:49 pm »

Bone uses in fantasy... are what I know  I dunno about RL uses.

In one fantasy book, there was a cannibalistic group that inducted its young recruits into the army by eating a mysterious meat.  This meat was as it turns out, slain trespassers on the groups turf. 

Well to make a long story short, when a warrior-father died his forearms were removed, elbow to wrist, and given to the eldest son.  A prize, or heirloom, of the mans accomplishments.  Tradition had it, the boy honed down the fathers forearm, to a piercing rapier dagger point.  And then spring loaded it under his own forearm, in a wristband sorta contraption.  It was a last strike weapon.  Legend had it, if the father's acts in life were noble, that hidden rapier would protect the son from certain death if captured or ambushed. 

Very interesting idea, I thought.  It was from the Seeker, trilogy of books, I believe.  Terry Goodkind, I believe. 

Incidently, grout is my favorite use of bone.  Any above ground structure, should require mortar.  Grout is a mortar made from bone, I think, like in the movie 300.

Sincerely,
Knutor
I now want to read that book.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 06:16:58 pm »

Soup stock.
Gelatin (derived from collagen in skin and bones).

Marrow is very nutritious and chefs do crack open bones to cook with the marrow itself.

Bake a bone hot enough and you have Bone Black, a black pigment for oil paints.