Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sieges  (Read 435 times)

Daint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:36:24 am »

How does this really work, i cant get goblins to siege me, even tho i embark into areas with goblin civilization in.
I have played this game for almost three years and still cant figure it out  ???

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:43:22 am »

I think you need 70-80 dwarves and some wealth, near the 100k mark IIRC. They *should* start showing up then, but in my experience the goblins rarely siege in the newest versions. Get a mod like Genesis or Fortress Defense and let the enemies flow.

Daint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:44 am »

I've had fortresses with over 200-300 dwarves and 10 + slain megabeasts still never got sieged or even ambushed, oh well maybe i forgot to add goblin civ

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:34:30 pm »

Without knowing more about your embark it's hard to say, but I haven't ever received a siege before year 4, even with more than enough dwarves and wealth.  Not sure why.

I also seem to have to produce obscene amounts of wealth to really attract the buggers.  Even after I went from 10,000,000 to 20,000,000 in one year, I only got one siege of mediocre size.  Go figure.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »

I'm using Genesis mod and I got a goblin siege within 4 years. First I got a beastman siege, whom eventually got bored and left, and now I have a single squad of pikemen being led by a maceman camping my gate.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:02:12 pm »

If you're far away from a goblin civ, but still accessible, it may take a while for the siege to get there. They may have had it leave in the winter of 4, but it doesn't get there until autumn of 6.

Daint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:15:36 pm »

Sorry but how can i see how far away they are? And what is the symbol that is next to the goblin civ thing

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:16:02 pm »

If you're far away from a goblin civ, but still accessible, it may take a while for the siege to get there. They may have had it leave in the winter of 4, but it doesn't get there until autumn of 6.

Does the game actually calculate that in the current version (0.31.25)?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 11:31:01 pm »

Goblins need a land path to reach your fortress from their cities on the continent. There's also variable to turn sieges on and off in the init file; if it was messed with then what you describe could happen.

The wiki says that invaders and caravans sometimes take a while to show up in mountain or glacier biomes.

Keeping large numbers of goblins in cages, especially leaders, will sometimes cause sieges to bug out and not show up even after the siege tag has cleared from the upper left screen. This can be resolved by executing the hostages.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:15:06 am »

having a lot of gold in the fort seems to help too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.