Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ancestors who fought in the American Civil War ?  (Read 3618 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors who fought in the American Civil War ?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2011, 07:47:14 am »

From what I can see Picketts division was entirely from Virginia. Assuming he was in the infantry(considering he died its most likely) he must have been in either:

Armisteads brigade
Kempers
Garnetts

Each have 5 regiments each so approximately 15 regiments he could likely be a part of XD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What was his name? (can PM if you want ;))
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:50:21 am by Deadmeat1471 »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2011, 08:11:03 am »

Pickett's own men were Virginians, but there was one brigade of Georgians in support and one brigade of five NC regiments under Brig. Gen Scales, Trimble's Division, that was supposed to follow Pickett's men into the breach (hopefully) caused by the charge. They got about halfway across the field before being forced back.

The North Carolina units were in the other two corps and did a lot of the early fighting (the 26th NC Infantry suffered the heaviest single-battle losses of any regiment in the war: 74.7% casualty rate in the first day, 81.8% casualty rate by the end of the battle.)

Interestingly enough, my wife's ancestors were up on Cemetary Ridge guarding the artillery pieces that were blasting Pickett's Charge to bits.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:23:32 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:39 am »

That's kind of sobering.  You always hear about how it was brother against brother, but you don't really think about how, even today, lots of us probably have friends whose ancestors killed each other.
Shoes...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2011, 10:02:06 am »

That's kind of sobering.  You always hear about how it was brother against brother, but you don't really think about how, even today, lots of us probably have friends whose ancestors killed each other.

Yeah there's alot of cases of this in that war, such as the Union Irish Brigade at Fredericksberg being shot down by Irish in the Confederate army.
Alot of the generals who fought against each other also fought together in the Mexican war, it really does show the worst of all Civil Wars in this civil war.

Also I think this demonstrates why they didn't consider each other traitors and the memory of both sides has been remembered throughout American history; they knew each other, they knew they were reasonable and honorable men, they knew they were countrymen or at least men of a fellow heritage and history.
To consider a Confederate a traitor to the USA would be like saying your brother is no longer part of your family because you had an argument.

I think its easy to say bad things about a foreign people, and to demonise them and hate them. It's hard if not impossible to hate your best friend, or your family member, or someone from a nation you respect and share a common history with and understand.

I think few Civil Wars were so bloody and so costly and still after the war has ended, the other side were accepted as brothers again. It's as if the war was a gamble to decide the issue of slavery, and the gamble though being lost(or won); all left the table as gentlemen and friends.

*I know this isnt the whole truth, and there was alot of animosity around, but there was alot of forgiveness too and I think that the forgiving outweighed the lingering hatred. Americans could never hate other Americans for long. Especially when the main goal of the war was to reunite them into the country!

Except John Wilks Booth of course  :P sore loser.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:05:31 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:20 am »

Pickett's own men were Virginians, but there was one brigade of Georgians in support and one brigade of five NC regiments under Brig. Gen Scales, Trimble's Division, that was supposed to follow Pickett's men into the breach (hopefully) caused by the charge. They got about halfway across the field before being forced back.

The North Carolina units were in the other two corps and did a lot of the early fighting (the 26th NC Infantry suffered the heaviest single-battle losses of any regiment in the war: 74.7% casualty rate in the first day, 81.8% casualty rate by the end of the battle.)

Interestingly enough, my wife's ancestors were up on Cemetary Ridge guarding the artillery pieces that were blasting Pickett's Charge to bits.

Thanks for this, interesting info!

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2011, 10:11:21 am »

The most warlike thing any of my ancestors did was my great grandfather: Being from a German-speaking community in what's now the Ukraine, he and his family evacuated with the retreating German army during WWII, and was drafted into the German army. Being a Mennonite and a pacifist, the last thin he wanted was to leave his family to become a killer, forced or not. So, when he got his first pay, which most other new soldiers spent on drinks and women, he bribed the garrison's physician to write that he was unfit for duty.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 10:38:49 am »

All of my grandparents were sympathizers or Hitler Youths.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 10:50:16 am »

All of my grandparents were sympathizers or Hitler Youths.
My German grandfather on my father's side moved from the city to an abusive family on a potato farm. Butchering cats and growing tubers... sounds familiar?

My German grandfather on my mother's side was too young for Hitler youth and all that, so he generally screwed around and helped East Berliners get over the wall after the war. Apparently he killed some high-ranking Soviet officer during a run, so he had to move or get hunted down the rest of his life. He moved.

My great grandfather (father of the East Berliner freer) was a high-ranking Nazi tank commander. He was close friends with Rommel, actually. I need to ask my family the name of the Nazi commander and the Soviet officer so I can look them up.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 11:26:48 am »

I think few Civil Wars were so bloody and so costly and still after the war has ended, the other side were accepted as brothers again. It's as if the war was a gamble to decide the issue of slavery, and the gamble though being lost(or won); all left the table as gentlemen and friends.

It wasn't about slavery, it was about whether or not the south had the constitutional right to secede.
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 11:40:45 am »

If we're expanding it beyond the ACW, I have an interesting bit: my 7x Great-grandfather was born in coastal North Carolina, his family having been displaced after participating in the failed 1715 Jacobite rebellion. He then returned to Scotland (his son, my 6x GGF, was born in Dumfriesshire) and fought in the 1745 Jacobite rebellion. When that failed, he took his family back to coastal North Carolina and eventually became the Justice of the Peace, and thus an official of the Crown.

As they say, if you can't beat 'em....
Of course, his son wound up fighting the Crown in the Revolution. Old habits are hard to break.  :P

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2011, 10:08:43 pm »

It wasn't about slavery, it was about whether or not the south had the constitutional right to secede.

Saying that is as shallow and narrow minded as it is saying it was purely about slavery. It was far more complicated than just being about slavery or states rights.

But do not debate this here, I know how it always ends.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 06:52:37 am »

I'd like to think the war was over clam chowder: cream base (Boston) or tomato base (Maryland/Chesapeake Bay).
Of course, as someone who thinks clams are just straight-up nasty I guess I'd have been a neutral observer.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:43 pm »

My grandfather was fighting against the Communists, I believe. My dad escaped when they won.

Booooring.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]