Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A dwarven Metropolis?  (Read 3480 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarven Metropolis?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 02:13:53 am »

Walling it off would not be cool actually. Perhaps it is acceptable to wall off a keep with elite guard barracks,noble palace and perhaps a few legendary craftsdwarves (royal mason, royal armourer, royal jeweler...), but peasantry should live in the constant fear of ambush, protected only by patrols and guard towers here and there.

EDIT: I actually liked it so much that I am about to try it myself once I finish my "working frenzy"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:16:40 am by TeleDwarf »

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 05:13:01 am »

Walling it off would not be cool actually. Perhaps it is acceptable to wall off a keep with elite guard barracks,noble palace and perhaps a few legendary craftsdwarves (royal mason, royal armourer, royal jeweler...), but peasantry should live in the constant fear of ambush, protected only by patrols and guard towers here and there.

EDIT: I actually liked it so much that I am about to try it myself once I finish my "working frenzy"

Let me know how you get on with it! Im pretty stumped as to where I start with it all though haha.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »

You would have to keep your elite separate from your work populace, otherwise they will mingle and your army will despair at seeing their people die.

I've actually done this before with my Spartan fort:
*Physically weak babies dropped onto large serrated discs/fought ice wolves
*Weak migrants/migrant babies became helot farmer populace
*Craftsmen became perioikoi (part time soldiers and craftsmen)
*Soldiers became Homoioi, full time soldiers (tough keeping them happyD:)

Tamper tantrum amongst the 90 farmer serfs, all go crazy, fortress crumbles.

But not before the Sparta Dwarves win.

There were no survivors :D

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:16 am »

TeleDwarf has taken up the challenge! Watch! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=97303.0
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.
Pages: 1 [2]