Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird king  (Read 1113 times)

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird king
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:14 pm »

So i got my first dwarven king ever the other day and while looking at his personality i noticed he was odd, he had no past relationships (which isnt that weird i guess) but he also has no likes/dislikes, as in favorite alcohol ect.  I didn't give it much thought till while looking over some engravings in my fortress i noticed that in the year 36 (we are in the year 139 at the moment) "The husband of the bloated crone Sakzul Systemfloor" became the king of our civ.  Now sadly that isnt the king who arrived but im wondering if his odd personality business is somehow a product of that event.

I havn't looked through legends yet as the fortress is still going.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Weird king
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:21:35 pm »

For some reason, monarchs don't come with any personality. Maybe that's a feature, but I doubt it.

The "husband of the bloated crone" part just means that a previous king later got abducted by a bloated crone, and so all historical references to that king call him a husband of a bloated crone. Weird? Yes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:22:23 pm »

Obviously, a lack of preferences is why he became monarch in the first place. Anyone else would have inevitably met with an "unfortunate accident".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »

Yeah, historical figures don't generate that information at this point. Toady will get around to it at some point.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:58:52 pm »

I think this has something to do with the changes dealing with nobles in more recent versions.  I didn't even think you could get the king to reliably migrate in the current version. 

Back in the old days there was some special code that forced certain preferences and made nobles "special" (like the dungeon master and his many capes) by forcing preferences onto immigrant nobles, but that code has been in a broken state for a while now.  Toady is on record (somewhere) as stating that this is due to an overhaul in worldgen populations and historical figures.  Basically before that overhaul, historical figures were a much more abstract idea than they currently are, so when those two bits of code met, you get craziness like kings with no personality. 

Hopefully with the upcoming release featuring historical migrants, this will be fixed. 
where is up?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:11:56 pm »

I think this has something to do with the changes dealing with nobles in more recent versions.  I didn't even think you could get the king to reliably migrate in the current version.
You most certainly can - you just need a population of 140 to enable his arrival, and discovering Adamantine doesn't do anything like it did back in 40d.

Basically before that overhaul, historical figures were a much more abstract idea than they currently are, so when those two bits of code met, you get craziness like kings with no personality.

Actually, the lack of personality/preferences is a bug that has been around since forever - even in the old 2D versions, the King and Advisor had no material preferences at all (and personality traits didn't exist yet) because, as stated by Cruxador, they were created during worldgen; in later versions, once meaningful stuff actually started happening during worldgen, this began to affect the King's spouse as well.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »

Yeah, historical figures don't generate that information at this point. Toady will get around to it at some point.

This is supposedly fixed for the new release, with all the historical migrants...