Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Harvest Time (n00b help)  (Read 1509 times)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Time (n00b help)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »

Oh yes, one more tip for agricultural efficiency is plant stack size.

What I do is, when the traders come, I go to Plants, sort by value, and sell all the small-stack plants like plump helmets [1] or dimple cups [2].

Alternately, if I don't need the cash (which is usually the case after Year 1) then I simply go into z, stocks and dump/forbid all the small-stack plants.

The idea is to keep only big stacks like plump helmet [5] and quarry bush [7].

Why? Bigger plant stacks have a ripple effect of efficiency throughout the entire food industry. Big stacks save labor and space, and maximize profits (especially with prepared meals!! compare a lavish meal made from 4x quarry bush [5] vs. one made from 4x quarry bush [1]... wow!!!!).

Example:

mill dimple cups [5] to dye = 1 bag and 1 milling task
mill 5x dimple cups [1] to dye = 5 bags and 5 milling tasks

How to get fat stacks:

1. One legendary grower or herbalist is better than several novices
2. Fertilize the fields with potash (optional depending on availability of wood)
3. Trade (plants from the caravans are usually stacks of 5).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:20:19 pm by Mushroo »

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Time (n00b help)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:44 pm »

For seed storage, I read (I think on the wiki) my approach: 2x1 per seed type - dedicated to that seed type.  You get 2 barrels full of 2 bags each of seeds - something like 80 seeds...

For plants, I break them up by type of use (piles for alcohol, processing, etc).  With the pile close to both the field and the workshop.  This means the farmer spends little time havesting (and ONLY farmer harvest) and everyone else spends little time processing (note, my planters are my harvesters and after the first migrant wave he is dedicated to that job).

I usually limit population to 30 or so (to keep my framerates high), and 2 3x3 farms are plenty for that size. Usually, I go with dedicated fields with the following sizes:
    Plump Helmets 1x5
    PigTails 2x5 (more if I am going heavy clothing industry)
    RockNuts 0 (just never got into them)
    Cave Wheat 1x5
    Sweet Pod 1x5

Above Ground Plants
    3x3 berry (which ever I find first)
    Rope Reed - same as PigTail

and away you go.

Pages: 1 [2]