Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graduating from the Lazy Newb Pack  (Read 1448 times)

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
Graduating from the Lazy Newb Pack
« on: December 02, 2011, 05:34:08 am »

So, I've been playing DF for awhile, and I've got the hang of most of it.  Probably.  I've decided it's time to graduate from the lazy newb pack and start doing it the hard way.  So, uh, where does one find some of the handier options I've been toggling with buttons, like aquifers, pop cap, and liquid depth?
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Graduating from the Lazy Newb Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:03:43 am »

The pop cap and liquid depth are in df/data/init/d_init.txt under [POPULATION_CAP:] and [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:], instructions included.
Aquifers are defined in df/raw/objects/inorganic_stone_soil.txt, where the soil types are defined. If you want no aquifers, you have to remove all the [AQUIFER] tags (or just remove the "[" if you want them back later), but for every change there, you have to regenerate the world.
If you browse the raws and init files for a while, you'll get the hang of things pretty fast, it's all self-explanatory.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:02:50 am »

the D-init and init files have explanations at each option, what it does and how it affects the world/game

turning economy off doesnt have any effect atm though :p
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »

I congratulate you on your graduation!
As said before, DF setting files are d_init.txt and init.txt which are under "df/data/init/"

But you know, the Lazy Newb Pack doesn't limit you in going into the deeper stuff manually if you want to. Its just a time saver really.
Have you ever tried pressing the "Init File Editor" button in the Lazy Newb Pack? It opens both of these files in a text editor to be changed however you want.

You can also open "df/data/init" by going to Run-> Open Folder-> DF Init Folder

EDIT: I contend that there is no sane reason to go about trying to manually disable Aquifers if you're able to do it with LNP.
Its a tedious find/replace job on the word "[AQUIFER]", like MagmaMcFry said. Its not an officially supported setting, but more of a mod. Similar idea with EXOTIC ANIMALS, but even more complicated.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:05:28 am by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:51:28 pm »

But you know, the Lazy Newb Pack doesn't limit you in going into the deeper stuff manually if you want to. Its just a time saver really.
This. All of it. It's also handy if you're wanting to test the various graphics sets before settling on one.

It's a handy way to change up the options that you almost always want, like allowing "exotic" animals to be trained without a broken noble requirement or removing aquifers (if you do). However, in my version, I've removed most of the 'useless' clothing, leaving just a few items that all races use, like robes and cloaks. I've gotten rid of low boots (since dwarves can't reverse-engineer high boots if they're foreign). I've altered plant growing seasons, made kobolds survive the worldgen bug, removed aquifers and 'fixed' the exotics bug.

Only the last two are done with LNP - the rest are manual edits in the RAW files, which are mostly straightforward. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from installing LNP and then layering your own changes over it.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 05:26:47 am »

I congratulate you on your graduation!
As said before, DF setting files are d_init.txt and init.txt which are under "df/data/init/"

Have you ever tried pressing the "Init File Editor" button in the Lazy Newb Pack? It opens both of these files in a text editor to be changed however you want.

You can also open "df/data/init" by going to Run-> Open Folder-> DF Init Folder

EDIT: I contend that there is no sane reason to go about trying to manually disable Aquifers if you're able to do it with LNP.
Its a tedious find/replace job on the word "[AQUIFER]", like MagmaMcFry said. Its not an officially supported setting, but more of a mod. Similar idea with EXOTIC ANIMALS, but even more complicated.
It is a wonderful time saver, and I am probably going to keep using it as such(a decision spurred by realizing how tedious things like pet tags and aquifers are to change manually), I'd just like to know that I can do it the hard way if for some reason I had to.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.