Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven relationships  (Read 1564 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Dwarven relationships
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 10:15:39 am »

I'm assuming having lots of friends will keep dwarves from tantrum, or all those forts full of couples spiraled shortly after a single death?

Good food, lots of booze, a bed of their own, and an engraved dining room with optional waterfall keep my Dwarves happy in the face of death.  :)  My high couple-percentage fortresses usually died an FPS death.  If you manage to marry off 25 couples you will have 50 married adults and 150 children in only a few years of marital bliss.  :o  I tried starting with fewer adults but this limits the number of useful immigrants possible.  I wish there was some way to limit the number of living children per female Dwarf, as well as the total population.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 11:55:14 am »

I get marriage announcements all the time. Probably because I let most of my dwarves stay idle most of the time. I don't go out of my way to find stuff for them to do.

I'm assuming having lots of friends will keep dwarves from tantrum, or all those forts full of couples spiraled shortly after a single death?

Good food, lots of booze, a bed of their own, and an engraved dining room with optional waterfall keep my Dwarves happy in the face of death.  :)  My high couple-percentage fortresses usually died an FPS death.  If you manage to marry off 25 couples you will have 50 married adults and 150 children in only a few years of marital bliss.  :o  I tried starting with fewer adults but this limits the number of useful immigrants possible.  I wish there was some way to limit the number of living children per female Dwarf, as well as the total population.

Edit the d_init.ini file in the data/init folder. Change the POPULATION_CAP and BABY_CHILD_CAP to whatever you like. I usually stick with 30 and 4 respectively. Note that a population size this low generally doesn't work accurately. A setting of 30 usually makes me end up with around 50 dwarves.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:59:58 am by Lemunde »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:43:24 pm »

[My high couple-percentage fortresses usually died an FPS death.  If you manage to marry off 25 couples you will have 50 married adults and 150 children in only a few years of marital bliss.  :o  I tried starting with fewer adults but this limits the number of useful immigrants possible.  I wish there was some way to limit the number of living children per female Dwarf, as well as the total population.

Edit the d_init.ini file in the data/init folder. Change the POPULATION_CAP and BABY_CHILD_CAP to whatever you like. I usually stick with 30 and 4 respectively. Note that a population size this low generally doesn't work accurately. A setting of 30 usually makes me end up with around 50 dwarves.

BABY_CHILD_CAP will limit the total number of babies and children present at any given time, but not per mother.  I want all of my married Dwarves to have children, so that all of the family lines are continued.  If I set the baby cap low, then all of the children come from the first one or two who get married.  This is because Dwarven females are fertile for their entire lifespan and have no concept of family planning.  I suppose I could send their husbands out to die as soon as they had five children, or whatever limit I fancied, but that is not only cold but also disruptive since they are likely to be married to my Legendary Brewer or someone of similar value.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 [2]