Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do all my FBs do the same thing?  (Read 801 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Why do all my FBs do the same thing?
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »

They all come up from roughly the same area of the caverns.  They all path up the same routes.  They all head right for the same spot where there's an old dead FB lying in puddles of his toxic blood.  They all get their feet rot off thanks to that toxic blood.  They all go loiter around the caverns in roughly the same spot for a few months.  Then I eventually forget about them until they come destroy one of my wooden doors and remind me they are there.

I can't say they are exactly "boring" on account of each one gets its own potentially !!FUN!! syndrome to go along, but they are downright predictable, making it quite easy to take them out by positioning my military in an overlook spot by where they always loiter.  Is this common behaviour for forgotten beasts, to do roughly the same thing every time?  Is this an artifact of the game's AI, where they all "think" roughly the same, and have very little randomness thrown into their behaviour?  Or am I just having some exceptionally similar FBs visit me?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Why do all my FBs do the same thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »

They all come up from roughly the same area of the caverns.  They all path up the same routes.  They all head right for the same spot where there's an old dead FB lying in puddles of his toxic blood.  They all get their feet rot off thanks to that toxic blood.  They all go loiter around the caverns in roughly the same spot for a few months.  Then I eventually forget about them until they come destroy one of my wooden doors and remind me they are there.

I can't say they are exactly "boring" on account of each one gets its own potentially !!FUN!! syndrome to go along, but they are downright predictable, making it quite easy to take them out by positioning my military in an overlook spot by where they always loiter.  Is this common behaviour for forgotten beasts, to do roughly the same thing every time?  Is this an artifact of the game's AI, where they all "think" roughly the same, and have very little randomness thrown into their behaviour?  Or am I just having some exceptionally similar FBs visit me?

Deja vu.

Yeah this has happened many times.

Don't know why.

Have fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

in one fort i had 3 FB in caverns, 3 titans above ground, all in different places (different cavern levels). None of them appeared in the same place and they just took the most direct route to any entrance
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

Usually they do appear in a few places.  This is probably because the caverns only have limited routes through.  If you're bored, move into the caverns and clear some mushrooms and rocks and bingo--f.b. coming from all sides.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:50:52 pm »

You're lucky, my only militia dwarves are currently in a coma due to the most recent FB that ran to the cavern barracks from the side of the map in seconds.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:41:40 pm »

Maybe there is only one way into your caverns, and one way to route into your fort.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!