Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No "Warm stone detected" around a volcano?  (Read 657 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No "Warm stone detected" around a volcano?
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:36:47 am »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

I nearly presented an end with a warm feeling to my fortress.

I designated just another three-wide tunnel to dig, and the next thing I heard was the message that they found a magma pipe of a volcano. No "warm stone" warning - they dug straight in, three wide.

I managed to contain the flood without loosing too many dorfs (one is still down there, waiting to be fried).

But if I go 'd'->'d' I can see that a good part of the material around the magma pipe is not marked as "warm". As far as I saw, the non-warm stone is all obsidian.

Any idea how this could have come to pass?

warmly confused,
Christian.
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No "Warm stone detected" around a volcano?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:37:47 pm »

Temperature off or messing with message settings?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:26:19 am »

Is it possible the warm stone they mined through was already discovered?
You only get the warning when you discover a new warm stone tile, not the ones you can already see afaik.
It's possible to see the insides of the volcano pipe from the top and reveal the stone on the walls so that could cause it, might have been something else entirely ofcourse, like supressing the warning in the settings.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:03:16 am »

If you suppress the warning in the settings, they still won't dig a newly discovered warm tile, they just won't tell you they stopped digging.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:46:26 pm »

Temperature off or messing with message settings?

Thanks for the answer.

"Hmm, I'll take 'Temperature off 100'." - "Your Answer is: 'This might be the reason why stone next to a volcano is not warm.' "

Somehow, the game still knows about warm stone - over the magma sea and about two thirds round the volcano, there is the "warm stone" indicator as usual. It is just missing at "my" side of the pipe.

My theory: regardless of the "temperature on/off" setting, the game marks stone adjacent to magma as "warm". later changes - somewhere after the first steps of the area creation - the pipe changed (the not-warm stone is all obsidian...), but due to "temperature off", the new "border" was not marked as "warm".

I put it down as bad luck, and a reminder to be more careful.

Christian

PS: The fun thing about this is the messages the system generated during this incident. So the dorfs dug three wide into the magma pipe, and all they noticed was that they had just discovered the second-level caves (which happen to be the place the the volcano shaft tops out... Nobody mentioned the burning flood that just made its way to my forges...
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!