Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What exactly does a hunter need to actually go and hunt  (Read 12210 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly does a hunter need to actually go and hunt
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »

I guess this means my limiting my hunters to a maximum of 30 bolts helps them run out sooner. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 12:50:25 am »

Maybe if they're using stacks of 5 bone bolts and are skilled with good agility (thus reloading faster and ready to perform another action), but metal bolts come in stacks of 25-30, a full quiver, so you may end up with just one hunter who has all of the bolts set aside for all the hunters in the fort, thus being the only hunter out there. It'd minimize losses as far as dwarves are concerned... I would suggest training them as part of the military initially to provide useful skills like dodging and initial crossbow skill, then designating them as hunters as makeshift, but unfortunately disposable, patrols, with a few bone bolts to waste. They are bugged in the sense that they will use a different crossbow for hunting than what they are assigned for combat, so they'll immediately drop their hunting crossbow if drafted and charge the goblins unarmed. Had that sort of thing happen far too many times. I think they always wear their armor though, so they'll have some protection.

If the bolts are bone or wood only, then the hunter might run out of ammo before the goblins are on top of him, and if he has decent agility and doesn't do something stupid like running behind a ridge, deciding the goblin isn't chasing him anymore, then run back over the ridge to wander back to the site of the engagement before going home and find the goblin standing at the bottom of the hill and get slaughtered, then it could be moderately effective and you may not lose too many dwarves.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 04:06:24 am »

Ahem, yes, I meant bolts.

Well, after like 2 months of standing around with valid targets present, he finally decided to actually go hunt.  And promptly got himself killed chasing a Giant Jaguar (because, you know, the nice tasty gazelle that had been on the map *forever* wouldve been too easy or something).

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:19:04 am »

I just had a very similar problem.

Turns out my newly-assigned hunters picked up bows instead of crossbows for some reason.  And I have no arrows, so they stood around doing nothing.

I forbade the bows and now they are standing around holding the forbidden bows and not picking up crossbows at all. 

After turning off hunting, waiting for them to store the bows back in the weapon stockpile, then reassigning hunting, they appear to be off to collect crossbows.  Either that or they will pick up the same bow they had before and I will have to introduce them to the special magma bath...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »

Well, they picked up their crossbows after I turned hunting back on, but only one is hunting.  The other is stuck permanently on "No Job" while both of them having crossbows and quivers.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

Alternatively you could just have all of your dwarves hunt with spears ^-^
Pages: 1 [2]