Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caverns, Magma, and Clowns in Worldgen  (Read 1025 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Caverns, Magma, and Clowns in Worldgen
« on: November 29, 2011, 06:51:33 pm »

People should dig mines in worldgen. For dwarves, it can be like a basement addition to their mountain halls; for goblins and humans it would probably be out somewhere farther away from their settlements. Mines could pierce caverns, allowing the civs access to creatures and plants from that layer if they didn't already have them. Mines could pierce the second and third cavern layers, eventually finding the magma sea, and gaining access to species of those cavern layers and (maybe) any tameable magma creatures as well. Striking magma would promote the creation of a large metals industry there, as the heat of magma would eliminate the need to burn wood for fuel and lower costs. Once a mine such as this got big enough, it could start to house people, maybe on the surface or maybe in the caves or in rooms carved into the cavern walls or whatever; it would probably vary by race.
However, it wouldn't be all peaches and cream; monsters from the depths could come up and attack the mining settlement, killing people and cutting off supply to ores and cave plants. This would be an interesting quest: "Kill the trolls occupying the mine, so that we can have access to our goldsmithing forges and dwarven whiskey again!"

Spoiler: Spoilers (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Caverns, Magma, and Clowns in Worldgen
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:40:47 am »

I guess you are weirded out why nobody answers.  Its because its alreadyplanned for second to next release and has been suggested before.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Caverns, Magma, and Clowns in Worldgen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »

I guess you are weirded out why nobody answers.  Its because its alreadyplanned for second to next release and has been suggested before.

I'm looking forward to mad humans industrialising the world.

Quote from: Elves
DON'T CUT DOWN DAH TREES!!!!

Quote from: Humans
Fine.

*The humans then proceed to dig out everything beneath the trees, dropping them straight into the magma seas. Which the Dwarves then begin swimming in.