Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Attributes  (Read 802 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Odd Attributes
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:30:07 am »

Hello,

I am examining my countess and she has two attributes, that I have no idea what they stand for.  Are they just for flavor text or do they apply to some deeper relationship.

1)She shakes her finger up and down when she's trying to remember something.
2)She stiffens up when she's surprised.

Any ideas what that might mean?  Neither show up in Therapist.  I'm trying to keep her happy and get a baby out of her.  Haven't had much success yet, in  royalty.

Thank you,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Odd Attributes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:31:11 am »

Those are mannerisms, not attributes.  I don't think mannerisms do anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:36:46 am »

Odd, because the mannerisms are listed right in there with her traits.  Would her mannerisms determine her fertility or mate choice maybe?  I'm confused, I took the advice of another poster and built gem windows around her bed chamber, in the hopes she would spend more time in her bed.  I upgraded it to the best quality.  I left access to her bed, and she sleeps in there, but she won't produce a child.  I'm gonna try putting a caged pig in there, she likes pigs for their smelling.

Now I'm back at 200 pop, from another peasant birth.  Uck!

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:51:53 am »

Is she married?  They need to be married before they'll have kids.  And in DF spending more time in or around bed should have nothing whatsoever to do with getting married or having kids.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:55:21 am »

I'd assume it's like skin, eye or hair colour, it's just for flavour, though I have wondered if there's any benefit to a dwarf liking a colour that occurs in the hair, eyes or skin of other dwarves. As far as I know, the only deciding factor in fertility is whether she's married or not, and if she is she'll regularly drop sprogs unless her husband's dead or the pop cap was reached at the time of conception. Unless her bed is in the middle of the meeting hall, spending time there isn't going to find her a husband.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »

This only has one purpose : Making the game deeper and in the future it will allow the player to have a stronger "relation" with a dwarf.
So instead of having a hole full of semi-brain dead bearded midgets you will have a fort full of dwarfs each one with his traits and personality.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 01:28:07 pm »

Okies.  I was worried I was missing something important.  If its just flavor text, that's okay.  Just wish it wasn't mixed in there with the important trait text. 

Nope, she's not married.  I'm in a tantrum spiral at the moment in this fortress.  I built it 13 stories tall out of marble, with lotsa traps all over the place, but I can't handle the sieges, after going royal.  I've got one squad full of adamant but its the mass pitting that is killing me.  I can't stay ahead of it.  I have 24 caged enemies laying around, and all my dwarfs are busy.  I've turned my training off and have the troops hauling, until I can get ahead on mass pitting and bolts, and get my defenses back up to a safe level.

I'm contemplating adding another mass pit, that drops out onto the catapult range bullseye.  But I haven't had much luck so far, siegecraft is just slows me down.

Knutor

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 01:59:28 pm »

if a dwarf has a trait "fidgets when lying" dont give them liar as skill?
dwarfs with agressive mannerisms easier to tantrum?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 02:15:48 pm »

if a dwarf has a trait "fidgets when lying" dont give them liar as skill?
dwarfs with agressive mannerisms easier to tantrum?
Nope. All the mannerisms do is work as flavor text. Nothing more and nothing less.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 04:28:04 pm »

I thoroughly enjoy reading the descriptors for the wild animals around my fortress. Fur of chestnut and eyes of cinnamon? How my hunter dwarfs resist such tasty descriptors.