Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pets and grazing?  (Read 736 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pets and grazing?
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »

I totally forgot to make a pasture one game, and all the pet grazers were totally fine, even though they spent most of their time indoors with their owners.  Was I just lucky, or are pets exempt from grazing, perhaps being fed by their owners?  If so, would assigning a normally grazing war animal to someone, and thereby forcing it to be a pet, give the same effect? 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Pets and grazing?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:12:01 pm »

Pets need to graze.  If you don't pasture them, they'll follow their owners around.  Depending on the pet, they may get enough food while doing this to stay fed.  Keep in mind that if you've breached the caverns, underground soil will grow cave moss, which grazers can eat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »

Ah, I think I did penetrate the caverns on that game.  Drat.  There's goes my dream of non-starving war elephants :(.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »

Sometimes when I neglect to put a pet in a pasture I'll notice they'll be persistently hungry. If I decide not to pasture them and just let them die they'll stay hungry but for some reason they won't die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:22 pm »

Sometimes when I neglect to put a pet in a pasture I'll notice they'll be persistently hungry. If I decide not to pasture them and just let them die they'll stay hungry but for some reason they won't die.

/Butcher/Voilentasplosion/dropping from very tall things/military/spinning blades/all things very hot/water/.

Or just pasture them on constructed floors, they will surely die of starvation.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 01:02:46 pm »

Pet owners will actually feed their pets when they get hungry.

I did a 0-point embark on completely barren wastelands; there were no plants anywhere. The entire fortress was living off of mussels from the local creek.

One of the first immigrants brought a pet pig named Fath. I was sure that Fath the Pig was going to starve to death, but his owner would occasionally feed him prepared meals from the general food stockpile.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »

YES!  I wonder if that also means that war animals that have been assigned to a soldier, thus listed as pets, will also be fed in the same manner.  Pet!Science! 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:17:02 pm by VerdantSF »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 01:44:07 pm »

YES!  I wonder if that also means that war animals that have been assigned to a soldier, thus listed as pets, will also be fed in the same manner.  Pet!Science!

They should.

This also means you can have a Dwarf butcher his pet and feed it to his other pets.

How splendid.